Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System information opens up Help

• Please log in to reply

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
All of a sudden when I go to open up system information Help and support opens up instead. The path is to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe". I even tried to copy and paste the entire folder MSInfo from one computer on which it worked to mine and it still doesnt work. THANX!!

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi greatmightypoo,
First lets check the path of msinfo in the registry, follow the steps below:
Start -> Run.
Type: regedit
Press <enter>
Goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\msinfo32.exe
Check if the values of the variables are same as below:
(Default) is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\MSInfo32.exe.
Path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo.

Also lets use the System File Checker(sfc) to scan for missing\corrupt files, follow the steps below:
Start -> Run.
Type: sfc /SCANNOW
Press <enter>

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sunofagun.....I just checked my own machine and it had the same problem!

Here is how I fixed it....

That problem occurs because some system cleaners will wipe out the index.dat file in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache folder

Open up that folder, if there is one there, delete it and replace it with this one (after you wiped it out, windows created a new one, but the fix is incorrect)

unzip the attached file and place it in that folder above

Attached Files

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
:tazz: Hey it works now!! Thanks alot. Is there a way this could happen again?? I think it started not working when I installed the two service packs. So this should be something I shouldnt have to worry about again right.

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
I just tried the fix - it worked! Thanks.

I guess it doesn't make any difference if its Windows XP Pro or Windows Home? I have Pro and I downloaded and applied the fix.

Any other index.dat files the cleaner may have messed up?