Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help, System wont restart properly

• Please log in to reply

Mpdogg28

Mpdogg28

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have had a few Trojan horse/worm/virus infections as of late including pokapoka73.exe, elitebar and others that I cannot remember. My problem is that when I reboot my system windows will start coming up, logo with green bar at bottom, but after that it just freezes. I end up having to do a cold reboot and when I do I get a screen that says windows did not start properly. The screen gives you three options on starting in safe mode, one option to start with last known config. that worked, and one that allows you to try to start windows normally. I am posting a hijack this log if that will help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 6:53:19 PM, on 10/07/05
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\ISP50\Bin\Bartshel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ISP50\dialer\DIALER.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ISP50\bin\ppshared.exe
C:\Program Files\ISP50\Bin\Bartshel.exe
c:\progra~1\intern~1\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt Pollard\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.peoplepc.com/search/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/homepage
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] "C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI DeviceDetect] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\ATIDtct.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Remote Control] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{ACD2DC0F-79F6-4CF6-892B-1FED63C74F60}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: LexBce Server - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Mcafee.com Corporation - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: X10 Device Network Service - Unknown - C:\PROGRA~1\ATIMUL~1\RemCtrl\x10nets.exe (file missing)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have a fwew things that would worry me still so the first thing you need to do is head to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top.....

Afterwards, try running

start > run
chkdsk /r
enter

say yes to running at next boot and allow it to finish.....the stalling part sounds like a corrupted index for the mft....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmmm, take it back.....Bartshel.exe is apparantly a peoplepc file...that said, it supposedly is responsible for popups

I'd still run chkdsk and get a second opinion on the bartshel stuff

Mpdogg28

Mpdogg28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I ran check disk and it booted properly. I also restarted after checkdisk just to make sure and it booted sucessfully. Thanks!