Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking two computers using serial cable

• Please log in to reply

A Train

A Train

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have two computers both running windows xp. I am trying to connect them using a serial cable through the com ports. I have configured the phone and modem options for com port 1 for communication between the cable, as shown in the screen shot. I have then created a new direct connection with both computers and one computer is the host and the other is guest. For the guest I used the exact computer name of the host computer. The Network tab is in the screen shot, for the tcp/ip i have not specified any ip address just left the defaults. On the host computer i have set it the same and that so that no password or username is needed.

When i try to connect i get the error 777 ( The connection attempt failed because the modem on the remote computer is out of order )

Can anyone tell me what i need to do to fix this?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I don't work much w/direct connect, but I do believe you have to use DIFFERENT COMPUTER NAMES for each system; since they are both XP, you may be able to get away with no passwords.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
in the second screen use the drop down PPP is for dial up internet to networking. cant have same IP. Want same subnet mask. default gateway has to be the same if there is internet. no internet sharing then leave gateway blank