Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random shut down

• Please log in to reply

deedub

deedub

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
First off.. thanks to all the people who answer the many questions posed here.

My problem...

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro on a clean HD. Here's what the problems are:

At startup, after sitting overnight, for example... after hitting the On/Off switch, the power supply fan and proccessor fan start to spin, but it seems I'm not getting power to the HD's. After this point, the On/Off switch will NOT turn the pc off. I have to use the master switch on the PSU. After about 7 or 8 (sometimes more) attempts at switching from the back, the PC will start.

At this point, it will start to shut off before it even gets to starting Windows. If I am fast enough on the F5 key, I can get it to the Safe Mode startup selection screen. If I leave it on that screen for awhile and then boot normally, the PC will "usually" startup ok.

After being on for awhile, and seemingly totally at random, the PC will shut down. There is also an audible "pop" coming from the PC at the point it shuts down. Not through the speakers, but you here it coming from inside the case. PSU and Proccessor fans will still be going, though. I lose all video and it seems like the HD's shut down, because I can't hear them spinning anymore.

I do not believe it's overheating. I have the covers off and I keep it cool in this room. I'm at my wits end! Please let me know if there's anything I can try to save this machine. I'm about ready to drop it off a 10 story building and then run over it with a steamroller!

Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by deedub, 07 October 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Update the video drivers

deedub

deedub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Video driver is up to date. And how would outdated video drivers cause the 'pop' I hear?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Personally, I'd be more concerned with the power supply acting up; do you have another known good PSU to test on this system? I'd do it pretty quickly

deedub

deedub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Something else I just noticed... when it shuts down, the "drive active" light on the front of the case comes on and stays on.

Any more ideas?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try going into your BIOS and see if there is a screen that shows your power supply levels for the +12v, -5v, +5v, etc...

If it shows that, post those numbers in here. It will give us a better idea of how your power supply is working and whether or not it is dying. Also post the max output (in Watts, aka 250W, etc...) of your power supply. Also tell us what PCI/AGP cards you have installed on your machine, along with the number of hard drives attached to it and the number of CD/DVD drives.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 October 2005 - 08:52 AM.

deedub

deedub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Fenor... thanks for replying.

I have a 450w PSU, with the following numbers from the BIOS check:

Vcore - 1.769v
Vdd - 2.625v
+5.000v - 4.995v
+12.000v - 11.866v

I have the following peripherals hooked up:

1 x Sony DVD Rom
1 x ATI Radeon 9200 Grfx card
1 x IBM 6gig HD (main system drive)
1 x Seagate 120gig HD (where all the fun stuff is)

That's it. At the moment, I can't get the machine to start up at all. I've tried starting it with only 1 HD set up as master, tried moving the grfx card to another slot, switched memory, and tried running from the old on board video. Nada. Zip. Nothing.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a better machine.. maybe this is a sign? :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have your windows 2000 cd? If so boot from it and select REPAIR. Let me know how this goes. Don't worry it won't affect installed programs or any of your settings or files.

Fenor

deedub

deedub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Tried to boot from CD... first 2 times, it got as far as "Setup is starting Windows 2000" and then quit. 3rd time was the charm... then realized I didn't have the Emergency Repair disc. Tried to run the Repair Console... didn't have an Admin Password.

Tried to reinstall over the top of the existing installation. That seemed to work for awhile.. went looking for video driver.. *pop*, off it went.

Did clean install onto #2 HD. That seemed to be working.. got the video driver installed... started copying some stuff over... *pop* again.

I've turned it off for the day. I'll fight with it again tomorrow.