Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

where can i get vista

• Please log in to reply

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Linux :tazz: I know a little about linux, very little but i atleast know some basic commands and how to install wihtought anaconda or any other auto installer but as for the rest ouch i could definatly use a few lessons and id say for the most simple things, I have a XPS Gen2 laptop but redhat9, mandrake, fedora, debian, or any linux live cd's support any of my hardware and i d/l the free BSD's or that particular driver for the kernal i am using and for some reason i get as far as unzipping and such so i have all the files and i can never get to installing them and sometimes when i get lucky enough to get it right then i got to edit xserver and then the machine doesnt work because of something i did in the xserver ill be damned

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
part of the problem is the age of the machine, like windows, linux is designed to use the latest hardware out. i would suggest trying a lighter distro, they are out there. the one that pops up in my head right away is d@mn small linux sorry had to substitute the a with @ to make it readable.

Boat

Boat

• Pip
  • 5 posts

almost all the drivers are out there.

wireless instructions are on the Ubuntu forums complete with download locations.

I also know that I iwll not have Vista on any of my machines, it will either be XP or linux, nothing else.

Well, I'd love you to point me to a driver for the version 1 of the Linksys USB wireless adapter. No one else has been able to and there seem to be a lot of people looking.

Saying you will never have any OS other than Linux or XP ingores the future and is......well.....just silly.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Well, I'd love you to point me to a driver for the version 1 of the Linksys USB wireless adapter. No one else has been able to and there seem to be a lot of people looking.

Saying you will never have any OS other than Linux or XP ingores the future and is......well.....just silly.

not true, the future is Linux and open source. but I'm not going to argue about it. as for the wireless setup did you look here???
http://www.ubuntufor...ys USB wireless

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that is you that Dr Nick has given explicit instructions on how to install it in his second post to ya..... :tazz:

Oh and of all the others I looked at, they found their answers easily.

Edited by Efwis, 22 October 2005 - 09:04 PM.

Boat

Boat

• Pip
  • 5 posts

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that is you that Dr Nick has given explicit instructions on how to install it in his second post to ya..... :tazz:

Oh and of all the others I looked at, they found their answers easily.

Sorry but you are mistaken.

Dr. Nick certainly tried to help me but none of the things he suggested worked for me. I could not find a driver at the location he suggested or anyone who had found one. Compiling a driver from source is way beyond my level of expertise as is the use of "ndiswrapper" whatever that is. I'd love to be wrong about this if you can steer me to a driver but the search itself and the difficulty of the process for all but those with much expertise, underscores my point. Linux is just not there yet for many of us who would love to use it.

To put it another way: I'm no computer or programming expert but I have been using computers since the days of DOS, the Amiga and Atari ST. My last four computers were built from parts by me. If I have such trouble with Linux what chance does the average person, whose computer experience is limited to firing up windows on his Dell, have? And I haven't even mentioned Linux limited functionality. Not many games or commercial software available that you can load up on you linux machine. I give great credit to those who are pioneering Linux and I hope you are right that someday it will be ready for those who don't want to make a career out of getting it to work on their computer.

SlitNek

SlitNek

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
efwis was that directed tword me? if so i have the newest xps on the market today i believe i purchased it 3 months ago and figured if i was going to have a laptop i might as well be able to semi-game on it withought lag and a laptop that will the length of my desktop. it doesnt see my gfx card or a monitor so everything comes out 800x600 the kind of size that i can read the screen from my kitchen

I realy screwed up there sry
| | |
| | |
\/ \/ \/

Edited by SlitUrNek, 23 October 2005 - 04:15 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

efwis was that directed tword me? if so i have the newest xps on the market today i believe i purchased it 3 months ago and figured if i was going to have a laptop i might as well be able to semi-game on it withought lag and a laptop that will the length of my desktop. it doesnt see my gfx card or a monitor so everything comes out 800x600 the kind of size that i can read the screen from my kitchen

sorry when I did the google on it I mistyped something.

your correct, to solve this problem I would recommend upgrading the Nvidia Driver for the linux install that is the most common reason for your problem.

real good how-to listed here http://www.ubuntufor...ead.php?t=75074 with step by step instructions which are better then the ones given on nvidias website.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
For anyone who is still interested, there are rumors about a public beta (Beta 2) coming out sometime in November. Here is one article on it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to try the public beta! Microsoft wouldn't give a beta 1 license to a 16 year old, and I'm not paying $600 to join their program, either.

Edited by Pi rules, 29 October 2005 - 08:24 AM.

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
A quote from pc world mag..
'Win Vista Beta1 "We've painted less than 1/2 the picture here" says Greg Sullivan, group product manager in the windows client devision'.. on this comment alone i think i will wait a bit longer :tazz: (not to mention i know for a fact that vista's security is basically still just xp's sp2)

btw.. thanx @ Pi rules, interesting read the link you posted on beta2

Edited by Optikal, 14 November 2005 - 09:09 PM.