Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restricted sites - does it really matter?

• Please log in to reply

miridunn

miridunn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been exploring the topic of adware and viruses and decided to add the offending sites (as mentioned in the article) to my restricted zone on internet options (security). The sites included various search sites that hijackers redirect to. I am wondering if this will protect my PC in any way?

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Well Yes it would protect you from getting infected from that site but there are too many malware sites out there so yes it would protect you a little more but if you want real protection from spyware you should have a realtime spyware guard such as SpywareBlaster.

Hope that answers your question

Cleverboy12 :tazz:

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Agreed with CleverBoy! Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, SpywareBlaster, Firewalls, Antiviruses, Anti-trojans (Like TDS), AntiSpyware (like Microsft Antisypware) will protect you most of the time! Still there is a really loew chance of infection! Thats when GTG Comes in!!! This site will remove ang traces of malware!

miridunn

miridunn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. Yes, I just spent a week trying to stay a step ahead of the hijackers and trojans, viruses etc on my PC. I was able to, in the end, downlaod AVG (I think its great) spysweeper, and hijackthis. Then, following very complex (to me) instructions, fix my regsitry, and various other things. I finally got my old PC back! Thanks to this site, especially. Anyway, as an added precaution, I began to add the offending sites to the retricted zone...and was wondering if it really would help. I have about 20 there, so far.

Thanks for the respone. This is the most helpful site imaginable! I think I may be turning into a geek! :tazz:

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hi there nice to see that you have gotten rid of the malware :tazz:

It would help to add the sites to there but there are just too many so I would reccomend getting spywareblaster which has realtime protection and has many more sites.

A better way of protecting yourself from the offending site is to add it to the Hosts file which stops your machine from contacting it and will contact your own machine :woot:

The more you are protected the less chance you have of being infected but please remember to not have more than one program for a cause because then they can conflict and give false positives.

If you have any further remaining questions please feel free to ask us :)

Edited by cleverboy12, 10 October 2005 - 09:54 AM.

miridunn

miridunn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmmmm--I am learning a lot about this stuff lately....how do I add sites to Host?"? :tazz: