Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMC, problem reseting IP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, im running behind a SMC router atm. The only way i can reset ip is going to WAN, then "dynamic ip" then entering a random number, and then keying in the password.

However i've to wait 6 mins before my connection gets back up. Is there a quicker way to change ip?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried going to a command prompt and typing in 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew'?

Fenor

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
yap, that didnt change the "main" ip. I need the ip changed just like how it is using the method i mentioned above, WAN etc etc

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Routers automatically give out IP addresses. If it isn't then there is a setting you messed with in the router causing it to not give out IP addresses, OR you changed a setting in your computer which would be unchecking the radio button that says OPTAIN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY in your network settings.

I suggest you change your network settings, and if that doesn't work, reset your router.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And there is no reason that you need to reset your IP, because the routers IP will stay the same until the lease for that IP runs out and your ISP doesn't re-lease it for your account.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 October 2005 - 10:06 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And if you are trying to change your IP to get around a ban placed on you from a site or game or whatever, then we cannot help you, because G2G doesn't help getting past bans placed on an individual no matter the reason, because the ban was put in place for a reason.

Fenor

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
All i ask is for a program to reset the ip in a quicker fashion.

Reason why i need it is to get past a ban, for diablo 2. For anyone who plays the game, you'll know what it is, otherwise please dont come telling me "no we dont help u with bans! Ur ban for a reason!".

Almost all the players get a temporary ban, cos they created the game too quickly, and u need to wait 12 hours or 24 hours to have the "ban" lifted.

Now back to the topic plz

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I have played Diablo 2 for years and have never had a ban placed on me. You are obviously doing something against the ToS in place with blizzard. I suggest you talk to Blizzard about it if you honestly think you are doing nothing wrong.

Fenor

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
OMG

Dude, go spend some time doing it now. 2 years ago, theres no such issue. Dont come telling me what it is 2 years ago when for a fact, its TWO YEARS AGO

Go do some research and keep your comments to yourself if u think im breaking the TOS.

I bet there are tons of players laughing at you right now. Go ahead and bump my post while i get to bed.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Almost all the players get a temporary ban, cos they created the game too quickly, and u need to wait 12 hours or 24 hours to have the "ban" lifted.

Don't know anything about the games, But if you feel its a temp ban then your just going to have to wait it out,

otherwise please dont come telling me "no we dont help u with bans! Ur ban for a reason!".

Seems you already know our TOS so I wont bore you with them again

Dude, go spend some time doing it now. 2 years ago, theres no such issue. Dont come telling me what it is 2 years ago when for a fact, its TWO YEARS AGO

Don't believe Fenor said he played it 2 years ago

I have played Diablo 2 for years and have never had a ban placed on me

He is trying to give you some suggestions, Again I m not familiar with the game so I have no idea maybe try an e-mail or a pm to someone there inquiring why there is a temp ban on you and that seems to be a constant problem,

If this topic continues down the path I feel it might be headed in I will close it,

I will leave it open in the event you have some information to pass along in regards to the Temp ban issue for this game

Thanks
Don

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"Temporary ban" has nothing to do with the violation of the TOS. Nothing at all.

Its PART of the game. If the game lags, you get a chance to have realm down. Realm down is what i call temporary ban, its a descriptive term, its not a BAN.

I dont think this is an issue at all. Should not have been and wouldnt be.

If anyone else has problem with it violating its TOS, go read up the terms and condition and tell me if they mentioned anything about realm down being a violation of rules. Its just another way of telling the users "the server is down atm, please try again later".

And unless if you have anything regarding that, please, let us all move away from that direction cos its neither constructive nor is it helping me at all.

/peace

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is what you mean by temp bans? just trying to come up to speed on the issue:

The second problem is hacks, cheating, and "botting" by unscrupulous players. Despite assurances from Blizzard that online play on "the realms" is "secure", hacks and cheats are endemic. Blizzard's response has been at best ineffectual. They have finally settled on an "anti-bot" strategy that relies on the simple expedient of penalizing everyone. For example, it's now inevitable that a player repeatedly creating two-minute games to do magic-find runs will at some point receive a temporary ban from online play that lasts for one to several hours. More severe violations, like making successive games less than a minute apart , result in punishment much faster. This means that if you create a game, and it's a really horrible lagfest where your character can hardly move and you don't dare leave town, you're stuck with the game for three full minutes. As like as not, ditching the laggy game within the first minute to try creating a new one will get you banned for an hour. And if your game dies, as happens all too often in the new battle.net, you'll be treated to both a rollback that loses some of your experience AND a stint in the "penalty box" where you won't be able to create games for as much as an hour.

or perhaps a more consise explanation would be http://www.blizzard....rt/?id=adt0689p

so if you are not using any third party programs with diablo2 then the problem is that you are either creating/joining mp games in "rapid" succession. Of you could be having lag issues.

possible solutions:
1) update your firmware for your router to the latest version
2) are you on cable or dsl? if on cable you should have a direct connection between the modem and where you connect to the wall. every splitter that is used causes a 3db drop in signal. to much drop and you get "connection interruptions or lag". Sometimes it also causes snow on the cable tv signal. If dsl then you may either be far from the dslam or your speed isn't sufficient enough for gaming. some dsl connections are 1 meg down with 128k up.
3)power off your modem and router (you may have a single unit that does both). wait 1-2 mins and the power them back on. once everything reconnects then you should be set to go. doesn not always guarranty you have a new ip address.
4) lean patience. take up meditation

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Nah im c00l. Im just laughing at how much people know about the game and claiming they know tons.

"Creating numerous games within a short time period " <-- this is an issue. Its not against the TOS

"3)power off your modem and router (you may have a single unit that does both). wait 1-2 mins and the power them back on. once everything reconnects then you should be set to go. doesn not always guarranty you have a new ip address. " <-- This works for me, but like i mentioned in the first post, it takes 6 mins for me to reset ip.

Reason why i asked here is because i saw a program here on geeks recommended some days back and it worked. This program closes all your connection and then brings it back up. Did a search, couldnt find it, because i lost its name =/

Thanks for help :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
anyone?

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

If anyone else has problem with it violating its TOS, go read up the terms and condition and tell me if they mentioned anything about realm down being a violation of rules.

http://www.blizzard....rt/?id=adt0689p, lists quite a few conditions that are TOS violations that cause exactly what you are describing. Is chat channel abuse part of the game, or using an invalid CD key???

Its just another way of telling the users "the server is down atm, please try again later

If this were in fact the case, resetting your IP address would not accomplish anything. The only reason people need to reset there IP address is to circumvent an ACL that battle.net has implemented to deny you access for whatever reason!!