Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are these files for?

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm new to these boards and was not sure where to ask my questions so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area.

Does anyone know exactly what Ipee/OTHB.exe is and how to get rid of it?

Other files I'd like to know what they are:

framedyn.dll - sysfader and one that is located c:\....\RP59/snapshot/mfex1.dat then mfex11; mfex12; and mfex2.dat

I tried to find the button to turn off system restore and couldn't so I went into the help files and clicked on the system restore button and it told me a file was missing and to reinstall it (I thought I wrote the file name down I'm sorry. I'll try to find it)

Thank you for any and all help.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz:

I believe that OTHB.exe is malware, I found a possible explanation here, and Ipee seems to be the folder name.

framedyn.dll explanation. This seems to be safe.

What does this stand for?

\....\

Please read this, then follow the instructions there to learn how to remove some malware, and make a HijackThis log. Please make sure you put the log in the Malware Removal Forum.

Edit: Expanded instructions

Edited by Pi rules, 08 October 2005 - 07:32 AM.

confused234

confused234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello;
I did the AdAware; downloaded CWShredder and got an error when trying to install it (the error said "c:\documents & settings\pat\desktop\CWShredder.exe is not a valid win 32 application") The first time I tried to download CWShredder the page changed to a bunch of strange script.

I downloaded SpybotSD (still do not understand about the other one DSO Exploit Fix I clicked on the download button and was taken to the site where I had to choose which site to download from so I chose TX.) I ran into problems with the SpybotSD. When I first downloaded it and tried to install it I got this error SpybotSD.exe - unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem..

I reinstalled, the same error came up but then the program executed. I then clicked on Update and got this error "The external update applcation has been corrupted. Please make sure you download the Update update to replace it."

Did I download the correct things? Confused :tazz:

In your message it is suggested we update our windows. Can you tell me what is Windows XP Service Pack 2? Is this what you refer to? The system does the automatic windows update and I see in add/remove programs: Windows XP Hotfix (SP1) (see Q309521; Q34889;Q311967; Q313450; Q314147; Q314862; Q315000; and Q315403. Should I install service pack 2?

In my first message I asked about the "C:\...\RP59\snapshot\mfex1.dat" I found this file in AdAware and this is how it was written. Any idea what it is?

I asked about IPee and have found it in C:\Program files; and in my registry under Search assistant 000 Reg-SZ ipee and Aaou Reg-SZ "C:\program files\ipee\othb.exe" - vt mt" I did a search of my computer and found othb.exe-1162EE7E.pf located in C:\windows\prefetch. What is prefetch?

I don't understand this framedyn.dll. I wanted to turn off the restore so I went into the help section and clicked on the restore button but got an error "framedyn.dll was not found" Where is that button to turn off the restore on XP?

I apologize if I've confused you. I did run hijackthis and will put the log on the correct site.

Thank you for any/all help.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
About the downloads:
They all worked when I just tried them, try an alternate site like www.download.com and just search for whatever applications you need.

What is prefetch?

Read this please.

framedyn.dll problem:
Try the suggestions here.

I did run hijackthis and will put the log on the correct site.

:tazz:

Can you tell me what is Windows XP Service Pack 2?

SP2 is a collection of security updates/patches and hotfixes. It cannot be installed properly until all malware is removed. You may want to consider upgrade to XP SP2, but at least wait until your computer is clean of all malicious software. The main features include a better firewall (I still suggest one like ZoneAlarm or Sygate), a pop-up blocker, and better security.
Look around here for more information.