Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't read blank CDs

• Please log in to reply

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I use a Dell Inspiron 8200 with Windows XP Home Edition. My disk drives (one built in and one external), have been acting up lately.

Recently I fixed the problem that neither of these two drives were being detected by the computer. After I resolved that problem, everything was fine.

Now, I can't read any blank CDs. Whenever I put a blank CD in either the internal or external drive, nothing appears, and when I try to run the drive, it tells me that it is inaccessable.

Any other CDs work fine, it's only the blank ones. Any solutions? :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Even though I'm sure at least one of these two CD-ROM drives is a CD R/W, you didn't specify that in your post. What I suggest you do is go to the DEVICE MANAGER (Right Click MY COMPUTER, clck on PROPERTIES, then click on HARDWARE tab and then click on DEVICE MANAGER). Once there, click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM drives, and right click both entries there and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let Windows re-detect and install the drivers for them.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 October 2005 - 10:59 AM.

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Allright thanks, I think it works now. Sorry about not specifying, they are both CD-RW drives.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So they are both working correctly now? AKA they can both read blank CD's again?

Fenor

dflo404

dflo404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
The internal one does yes. I'm not in the position at the moment to test out the external, but the only one I really care about is the internal. If the external doesn't work, I'll let you know.