Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux on Commodre?

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I was wondering if there was a linux distro I could put on an old Commodore that I have. Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Which Commodore?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Sorry, Commodore 64

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Took me a few minutes to find...
Lunix
[quote name='http://hld.c64.org/poldi/lunix/lunix.html']... is an experimental operating system for the Commodore64/128 without additional hardware. (The Commodore64 was one of the first home computers. It had around 64kB RAM and a 8Bit CPU running at 1MHz. If you're looking for a operating system for your PC take a look at linux) The features of LUnix are: UNIX-like environment and command shell, multitasking, multisession. LUnix is free software![/quote]

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
From the specs I'm thinking this must have been a very early version of Linux, more like a DOS version. Even then it must have run pretty slowly. Something you would want in your private computer museum, like my machine with an i486, actually an amd486dx-2 80 processor and win3.1. Works very well though and has lots of nice programs on it, used by a very computer savvy woman who got a lot out of it.