Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Write problems

• Please log in to reply

ts1

ts1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I usually use HP RecordNow (Veritas) to burn CDs. But I installed EAC - which seemed like a good idea at the time.

Since installing EAC, HP RecordNow hasn't burnt CDs without errors. It doesn't seem to finish writing, my gut feel is that it doesn't empty the last bufferfull but I maybe wrong.

If I try to make a backup CD copy, the tracks don't show up (everything ends up in track 1). On a datadisc it seems that the last file written isn't closed properly, the same is true for an exact CD copy.

EAC writes with no problems, but I need to be able to write data CDs as well.

I'm happy to try another tool (HP RecordNow came with he PC and I don't think I can reinstall it). I'm wondering if that'll be the easy solution, only problem is that I'd rather not buy anything - if its a CD writer problem I'll be wasting my money.

Please can someone help?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried using XP's built in Cd-burning support? Works decent enough for simple things. As for music cd's, you can use WMP10. As for free burning software, I couldn't really tell you since I haven't had the need to use one. I purchased Nero Burning Rom and it has done everything I have needed.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You could also try burning cd's using EAC/RecordNow at a lower burning speed. Could be that the discs you are using, though they say they can be burned at so-and-so a speed, they actually work the best at a lower burning speed.

Fenor

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

You could also try burning cd's using EAC/RecordNow at a lower burning speed.  Could be that the discs you are using, though they say they can be burned at so-and-so a speed, they actually work the best at a lower burning speed.

Fenor

View Post

I burn at the lowest speed I can (4x). I also wondered if the CDRs were a bad set - I've tried 2 different types. The same thing happens.

I don't think it can be the CD writer as EAC writes without any problems? (I know very little about CD writers).

Thanks for your reply :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What about my first suggestion about using the XP built-in burning support? Check this link out for more information.

Fenor