Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp reload

• Please log in to reply

skinnerdaryn

skinnerdaryn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
was intending to reformat hard drive,but only have windows xp home pre-installed(oem)and no reload disk.was wondering what my options are(dont see why i should pay for copy of xp twice)could i use friends copy of xp and use my original ser number to register again?,could i back up my hard drive and manage to boot from it and re-install that way?
thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
If you computer is still under warranty then call the manufacture that none came with the system, and they should send the CD to you by mail. You could use the CD of your friends, but I dont think its legal. Now in theroy you could use it if it was a OEM version, and not a retail version. This is all in theroy, I and this website are not condoling any actions that might come from this.

Edited by DHooper, 05 January 2005 - 10:21 PM.

MikeBramwell

MikeBramwell

• Pip
  • 5 posts
You Can Legally Use Another Disk, As Long As You Use Your Own Original Serial Key, And Registry It With Microsoft.

skinnerdaryn

skinnerdaryn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have just spoken to a microsoft tech on the phone who say it would be legal to use another disk and my own key,however chances are that my bios is linked to my copy and i would just be asking for trouble.would i be able to solve this by updating my bios??