Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Perplexed - Windows Workgroup Issue

• Please log in to reply

castlerock

castlerock

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Totally perplexed

Condition:
Home Network w/ 2 computers
both XP Home sp2
Connected through wireless router
1 desktop hardwire
1 laptop wireless

I have run through home network setup...both have same workgroup...both have guest turned on

from the desktop i can ping the notebook and the router successfully, yet i am unable to access the workgroup (MSHOME) from the desktop!? i can see the workgroup but cannot drill down to see computers.

Error msg: MSHOME not acessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this server to finde out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

From the Notebook i am unable to ping the desktop but i am able to ping the router. I can access the the workgroup (MSHOME) and can see both computers but can only drill down into the laptop. When i attempt to drill down into the desktop i get the following error message:

\\[computer name] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DONE THIS NUMEROUS TIMES BUT I AM PERPLEXED!!!

HELP ANYONE!

Edited by castlerock, 08 October 2005 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have File & Printer Sharing enabledon both computer?

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• File_PrinterSharing.JPG

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes I do

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try disabling the Windows Firewall on both computers and see if they can then see each other. Check out the following link for Understanding Windows Firewall

Fenor

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have done that...but that doesn't explain why the desktop can't drill down into the workgroup.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to share something to be able to access the network.

Fenor

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
everything is shared...printers, drives

this still does not explain the inability to drill down into the workgroup itself. non shared items would be visible yet not accessilbe

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try changing the network cable you are using. Can also try changing the port that the cord from the desktop is plugged into on the router itself.

Fenor

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I believe that the issue is somehow tied to the desktop and its inability to access the workgroup...see first post above

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try uninstalling the network adapter on the desktop and then reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it.

Fenor

P.S.--I'm heading out for an hour or so, so if I don't reply right away that's why.

Advertisements

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Network adaptor works...

..internet access is fine...i can ping the notebook from the desktop but cannot access work group

I cannot ping the desktop from the notebook but i can access workgroup, see the desktop but cannot access the desktop

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Check to ensure both PCs are in same subnet and you can ping both, using computername and IP add.

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
they are on the same subnet

how do i ping both?

I can ping the notebook from the desktop but not the desktop from the notebook

from both i can ping the router

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I meant pinging each system from the other, sorry bout that. I see you cannot ping desktop from laptop; did you try IP add and computername?

castlerock

castlerock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
what commands do i do to accomplish that?