Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc Cleanup Problems

• Please log in to reply

Joccobean

Joccobean

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've been running my Windows 2000 Pro Disc Cleanup application for about 45 minutes now, and I believe it has stalled again. This is the second time it has happened today, and I need to perform this operation. It has gotten stuck both times when it reaches "Compress Old Files". Anyone know what might cause this problem???

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Joccobean! Welcome to G2G!

I suggest you try CleanUp!. It does a much more thorough job of cleaning up temporary files then the built in disk cleanup utlity packaged with windows. Once you install it, just hit the CLEANUP! button and it will perform a standard CleanUp!.

Please note that any passwords that you have saved for websites will need to be re-entered the next time you visit the website, so make sure you either have them memorized or write them down somewhere so you will be able to log back into your account on the website(s).

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
After running CleanUp!, I suggest that you run DISK DEFRAGMENTER. After the computer is done being defragged, reboot it and then try to run the built in disk cleanup utility again and see if it works.

Fenor

Joccobean

Joccobean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you very much!!! For some reason, I thought it would take until tomorrow to get a response, but that was fast!! I'll try your suggestions, and post reply if further errors.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well the G2G Staff have me chained to my chair so I can't do anything else but respond to posts.

:tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Fenor

Joccobean

Joccobean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hah! Well, I'm running the CleanUp now, so I'm praying that fixes the problem. Hope you have a comfy chair...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hah!  Well, I'm running the CleanUp now, so I'm praying that fixes the problem.  Hope you have a comfy chair...

View Post

Are you kidding me? It's solid steel with no cushions. My butt really hurts! :tazz:

Fenor

Joccobean

Joccobean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Then grow a bigger butt like I did so it doesn't matter what type of chair you sit on - you always have a good cushion! This defrag is taking forever, I guess I should have done it sooner. I guess it's unhealthy lunch-time!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

This defrag is taking forever, I guess I should have done it sooner.

Defrag takes a long time, can take an hour or two depending on the size of your hard drive. But please DON'T DO ANYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER while it's running. It could cause files to get corrupted, because if you open a program that reads a file that is currently being defragged, well, bad news. :tazz:

Then grow a bigger butt like I did so it doesn't matter what type of chair you sit on - you always have a good cushion!

I have a really boney butt so it hurts :) hehehe.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 October 2005 - 12:44 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Defrag takes a long time, can take an hour or two depending on the size of your hard drive.  But please DON'T DO ANYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER while it's running.  It could cause files to get corrupted, because if you open a program that reads a file that is currently being defragged, well, bad news. :tazz:

Fenor

View Post

That is not accurate with a modern operating system like windows xp--it will slow things down, but working while defragging is not likely to lead to corruption...well, no more likely than doing anything else on a windows xp system...

As for the freeze up, this is a fairly common problem with Windows XP that results from file caching during the compression and people who experience can download any number of registry fixes, or edit the registry him or herself.

Line 48, second column, on this page
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm