Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony DW Q28 reads DVDs but not CDs

• Please log in to reply

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've just hit an odd problem, my DVD reader writer (Sony DW Q28A) has suddenly, as in this evening just stopped recognising CD media. (blank or with content, CD-RW,CD-R).

After this, I managed to read a Region 2 DVD, back-up all my files on DVD +R media but any CD I put in gets nothing in Explorer.

This behaviour started when I was trying to write to an Audio CD using Nero 6.6.016.

The recording (655 MB failed) then no CD's were readable. I have both Nero and sysetm ASPI files working. The driver software on the writer seems OK . I have reinstalled Nero but to no avail, the system only reads DVDs.

Just does not read CDs +/- or even audio CDs (shows as no disk in Drive)

Has anybody had this problem? Anybody know what I need to do?

My profile is as follows:

OS Windows XP SP 2 (up to date)

Motherboard is the RX480M2-IL with the ATI 200 Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 3000 (1.8 GHz) Venice CPU
2 x 256MB PC3200 (Non- ECC RAM)
1 x 80 GB Maxtor Diamond Pro 2MB Cache 7200 RPM IDE HD (master)
1 x 120 GB Hitachi/IBM 8 MB Cache 7200 RPM IDE HD (slave)
1 x Sony DWQ28AS - DVD +/- R/RW

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi VeedeeBee!

What I suggest you do is go to the DEVICE MANAGER (Right Click MY COMPUTER, clck on PROPERTIES, then click on HARDWARE tab and then click on DEVICE MANAGER). Once there, click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM drives, and right click the entry for your Sony DVD R/W and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let Windows re-detect and install the drivers for it.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I also suggest that you update your version of Windows to Service Pack 2 if you haven't already. Just mentioning this because of your Operating System Description under your name. If you don't want to install SP2 for some reason, that's fine, it's just a suggestion and not meant to start a debate. Let's stick to the topic at hand. :tazz:

Fenor

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Fenor,

This is a new machine (Aug 05) (from a system integrator) with came with XP Home not XP Pro as my old (homebuilt) machine but this and the last one are kosher MS products, both to SP2 and up to date. Just keeping the XP Home for warranty purposes.

Thanks for your advice I had just tried the uninstall and re-install move as you suggested but still no go. I note that DVD Disks are still OK (played Nemo DVD for a couple of minutes) but its perplexing. The drive does not read CDs.

I note though in Properties>Autoplay>Blank CD there is one option that reads

"using<need provider>" along with some square symbols all above that line. This could be what's killing the CD reading but I have no idea what it means.

If you look at the PDF file (if I've attached it properly, it shows the odd Autoplay entry).

Regards

Attached Files

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Its even worse now, just upgraded firmware from KYS1 to KYS3, now it still reads DVDs but doesn't want to write and its showing "power calibration error" on Nero 6.

Aaargh ! Maybe the firmware upgrade made it more choosy on the DVD media, Jessops best Brand DVD +R 8x !

Could the drive be faulty, if it is its only 3 months old.

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well did a Autoplay repair run using a registry editor programme, it found no problems but there is still that odd (no Icon, funny text) Autoplay Entry I mentioned in my second post.

Tried the method he suggested and also Firmware upgrade but now (probably the latter change) means that the DVD-RW drive is now effectively a DVD-ROM.

Mmmmm.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Edited by VeedeeBee, 09 October 2005 - 03:08 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you just got the machine, then I suggest you return it to get it fixed since it's most likely still under warranty.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

This is a new machine (Aug 05) (from a system integrator) with came with XP Home not XP Pro as my old (homebuilt) machine but this and the last one are kosher MS products, both to SP2 and up to date. Just keeping the XP Home for warranty purposes.

I suggest you change your System Information then because it shows you only have SP1 installed on your computer which can be misleading for people trying to help you.

Fenor

VeedeeBee

VeedeeBee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Fenor,

Thanks, I'll change my profile, I have sent an e-mail to the assemblers with the problem, it looks like a hardware failure.

I will change my profile as the last time I was on here, it was GtG that convinced me to go Kosher on MS XP.

Still strange that it still reads DVD's but in the 1990 we had a FDD with a misaligned head on one of our Office PCs that could read and write on itself but all the other machines in our office could not read disks made on that machine.

Regards

VeedeeBee