Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCMCIA card USB 2?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am on my 3rd 16X dual layer dvd/cd R+, R- external burner that is hooked up via a PC card to my notebook Toshiba satellite 2410, Pent 4 mobile processor, 512 RAM, 1.9 ghz. The PC card converts my notebook from 1.1 to 2.0 USB.

This last burner did exactly what the first one did and that was it seemed to write and create a dvd, however when you tried to play back your newly created backup you got the message F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.
I use DVD Shrink and Any DVD and have had great success until the burner simply quits, have done about 40 successful backups taking the advice of the burner phone supports recommended media and have my firmware uptodate.
Everything has been fine.
This last time, when I took the burner A/C cord with the converter box out of the high quality surge protector I could smell a strong odour of burned plastic from the converter box.

I called the phone support for the burner and returned the unit as I have an extended warranty and now have a new exchanged unit.

The phone support asked me what PC card I was using for the conversion from 1.1 to USB 2.0 and it is a no name brand. I purchased it from the store where i bought the burner. It was the only card that they carried.
It is powered so that I don't drain my notebook battery and as well I have my Canon LIDE 80 scanner attached to it and this scanner has no A/C power connector which is another reason i purchased the powered PC card.

The card works fine on my notebook and on my brothers, however I thought that I would ask the question about Quality of PC cards. Is there differences????
The only name brand one available here is the I O Gear and it is $80 and not powered.
I just thought that I would ask experienced users about PC cards.

I look forward to replies, thankyou

Edited by newbie geek, 08 October 2005 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements