Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply

sasha_nyc

sasha_nyc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was in the middle of installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 when in the middle of doing so the power goes out in my neighborhood. When the power came back up I restarted my computer. When I logged on it said that my computer "was running in an unstable state, please uninstall SP2 and retry" (or something to that extent). I then uninstalled Service Pack 2 and it asked me to restart the computer.

I then restarted my computer and Windows doesnt want to come on. I tried to log on under Safe Mode, but it still says that Windows cannot load. I tried all the other options from Start Windows Normally to Last Known Good Configuration. But still nothing. I tried turning off my computer but the computer will turn on by itself and do the whole deal again where it would turn on, go to the screen telling me that Windows could not load and to pick an option and then go back to doing it over and over again.

How can I get my Windows XP back up and running? Are all of my files OK and can i still retrieve them?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

- Sasha

Advertisements

sasha_nyc

sasha_nyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh and I was getting the Service Pack 2 from my Windows Automatic Update thingy too if that helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect your files are still ok

I am assuming you could not log in wth safemode command line? Do you have a windows xp cd disk? Did uninstall complete?

The first thing I woudl try is starting with the cd and using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r

If that failed, restart with xp cd and in the recovery console try

FIXMBR

if that fails, and you have only 1 harddrive, restart with xp cd and in the recovery console try (if you have multiple harddrives, stop, right back)

fixboot c:

sasha_nyc

sasha_nyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! I will try that when I get home, I'm at work right now! Hopefully I still have my xp disc at home. The uninstall of the Service Pack 2 did complete, or rather it said "to complete uninstall you need to restart your computer" (or something like that, which I did. I cannot log in at all, it has a "Safe Mode" option which to start Windows but it doesnt work, I even tried rebooting the computer and hitting the F8 key several times, but that doesn't work either. I'll dig around for the XP disc tonight and do what you told me to and let you know the results. What happens if I can't find my XP disc? Do I have to buy another one?

Thanks a million! Do you guys accept PayPal?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you cannot find your windows disk, you can download the following file

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

(actually, wait 10 minutes, as I need to upload it)

This is an iso file, and needs to be burned to a cd in a special way....by far the easiest way to do it is to download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Note: there are different versions for different versions of XP

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run the above commands

If those commands do not work, there are other possibilities, so post back if they fail....having the windows xp would be a very good thing, though.

sasha_nyc

sasha_nyc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! I burned the ISO like you told me to (in case I can't find my Windows XP disc). I'll try tonight when I get off from work, hopefully you'll hear from me tonight :tazz: Thanks mucho for your help!