Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to format disk

• Please log in to reply

alexandre

alexandre

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was following the steps to do the HijackthisLog, but once I have a virus and donīt have nothing important on the disc, Iīve decided to do a format c: . The thing is, on the bios setup, Iīve choosen cdrom,c,a sequence. The system starts up, the message Boot from Atapi cdrom... apears, but then it says ..failure. Iīve tryied with two different cdīs and Iīm almost sure that the problem isnīt from the cd, since it is a exact copy from the one I have installed. Is there another way to format the disk? Could it be a problem with the cdrom drive? (maybe to slow on reading..) I think itīs the virus behind this.. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
assuming the best and your windows xp is an archival copy and you have a legitimate right to install xp on this machine....

How did you make the copy? What is the exact "message"

Did you format already? Does this machine have a floppy disk?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A virus has no way to block a system from booting from CD.

It's more than likely that your system or your drive doesn't like booting from CD. Many older systems had no end of trouble doing this until it became a standard.

These days most non CD booting problems are down to the individual drives. Either that OR the system isn't actually booting off the CD in the first place.

alexandre

alexandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The message is "Boot from Atapi cdrom..." and then "failure". To do the copy Iīve used the cd copier utility from roxio easy cd creator 6. I only have one cdrom drive, so it copies first to a temp file. I have formated this machine on the past with success. A floppy disk, no I donīt have (I think thatīs maybe a start up disk, like we call it here). I thought that XP didnīt allow to create one.. Can I use another floppy disk or another cd from another operating system, rather than xp, and then insert a xp cd? :tazz: :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Please follow the request given by Greynight in This Thread <--- Click Here

Once you have been given a clean bill of health, things may improve to the point you don't need to re-install..

Murray