Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

missing ntldr

• Please log in to reply

harleywhite

harleywhite

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to load xp on my dell inspiron. At about 40 - 50%, it starts saying that it cannot load certain files. In the beginning, I formatted. I have tried ntfs and fat32. I obviously have no idea what I am doing. When I first turn it on, I get missing ntldr, I then try to load xp, and the above happens every time....any help? PLease?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
NTLDR is a key file which is specific to each system - ie you can't take one from another system and put it on yours and expect it to work.

Only thing you can do is boot off the XP CD, rip out the partitions and do a full format.

But if the system can't copy files off of the XP CD, that usually means faulty memory.

harleywhite

harleywhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This laptop was originally loaded with windows 2000. I have tried an oem version od xp as well as a burned copy, with the same results. I have formatted in ntfs, am using no partitions.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You will have partitions, XP wouldn't install otherwise.

So you tried two CDs, they can't both be faulty, therefore that points to a hardware issue. As said previously, most likely memory.

See elsewhere on the forum for some links to hardware testers to try your memory out to see if it is faulty.