Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows disappeared

• Please log in to reply

natacha21

natacha21

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't know what went wrong, i don't have a desktop, i can't get into anythig, i have to ctrl atl delete if i want to get into files. No internet explore nothing just a blue screen and i can't right click on it ot anything, i've never seen anything liike this but i can get online using ctrl atl delete and looking up aol. There's no task bar, no icons. Can anyone explain this problem to me? This is a desperate situation.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi natacha21...Welcome to G2G!

Sounds like you have a corrupt user account...you'll need to create a new one to resolve this issue.

Log on to the computer as Administrator, and then create a new user account. To do this, follow these steps:

Restart the computer. tap the F8 key during the boot sequence to enter "Safe Mode". On the "Windows Advanced Options Menu", use the ARROW keys to select "Safe Mode", and then press "Enter". When you are prompted to select which operating system to start, select Microsoft Windows XP edition (where edition is the edition of Windows XP that is installed), and then press "Enter".
On the "To begin", click your user name screen, then click "Administrator".
Type the administrator password, and then click the arrow button. NOTE: In many cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not enter a password before you click the arrow button.
Click "Yes" to close the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode.
Click "Start", right-click "My Computer", and then click "Manage" on the shortcut menu that appears.
In the "Computer Management (Local)" list, expand "Local Users and Groups".
Right-click the "Users" folder, and then click "New User" on the shortcut menu that appears.
Type the new user name and password in the appropriate boxes, and then retype the password in the Confirm password box. NOTE: If you do not want to assign a password to the user account, do not type a password in the Password or Confirm password boxes.
Click to clear the "User must change password at next logon" check box.
Click to select the "Password never expires" check box if you do not want the password to expire.
Click "Create", then click "Close", and then quit the Computer Management snap-in.
Restart Windows normally, and then log on as the new user that you created.
If the issue is resolved, reinstall the programs that you want, and then copy the documents that you want from the My Documents folder of the old user account.

To copy the contents of the My Documents folder of the old user account, follow these steps:
Log off Windows. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE twice. The Log On to Windows dialog box appears.
In the "User name" box, type "Administrator". In the Password box, type the administrator password, and then click OK. NOTE: In many cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not enter a password.
Right-click "Start", and then click "Explore" on the shortcut menu that appears.
In the "Folders" tree, expand the old user account under "Documents and Settings".
Click user name's Documents (where user name is the name of the old user account with which you experience this issue).
On the "Edit" menu, click "Select All", and then click "Copy" on the Edit menu.
Under "Documents and Settings", expand the new user account folder.
Click new user's Documents (where new user is the name of the new user account that you created).
On the "Edit" menu, click "Paste".
If you are prompted to replace files or folders, click "Yes to All" to confirm the replacement.
On the "File" menu, click "Close".
Log off Windows.

After confirming that you have successfully moved your documents to the new account, you can delete the old account through User Accounts in Conntrol Panel. If you are not sure if you have all the documents you need, choose to Save the documents option when you delete the account.

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 October 2005 - 04:32 PM.

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i'm no getting to sign in as administrator because i don't know the password what do i do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Leave it blank...

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i did and i everytime i press the arrow it kept saying Did you forget you password? Check to see if its in lower case letters or upper case letters but thats it, nothing happends.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
natacha21...

Try typing administrator or admin...have you ever set an admin password? Is this a second hand machine?

wannabe1

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
yes its second hand, someone gave it to me...and there is no way i can get it from them.

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok so i tried typing administrator that didn't work either...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
natacha21...

Do you have the XP installation cd?

wannabe1

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Noooooooooo, sorry. I don't.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did I mention how much I like a good challenge? :tazz:

Start the machine as you normally would. (Into the corrupt user account) and bring up the Task Manager. Under the "Applications" tab, click on "New Task". In the "Open" box, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. This will open the System Restore function. Choose to restore your computer to an earlier time (Go back to a time before this problem began)...and follow the prompts.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok i'm on it............

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
:) hummm that didn't work either, i guess i'm giving you a really big challenge here. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok.......... :tazz:

Bring up the Task Manager, click New Task, and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click Ok. Type Y to let it run on restart, and press "Enter". Reboot.

wannabe1

natacha21

natacha21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok i did that, whats suppose to happen now? I still have a blue screen. :tazz: