Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup problem

• Please log in to reply

C0mputerIlliterate

C0mputerIlliterate

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Whenever I click on anything right after startup, it's really slow and I'd have to click Ctrl + Alt + Delete. And everytime I do that, I see Explorer - "Not Responding." It happens everytime after startup. Once I have clicked on End Task, it loads and then eveerything seems fine. But it's just after startup that I keep getting the Not Responding thing. I don't know why, I just figured my computer is getting old.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Perhaps be patient? :tazz:

Try trimming down the amount of stuff running in Startup, some of it could well be Malware. See the appropriate forum.

C0mputerIlliterate

C0mputerIlliterate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for replying. :tazz:
I posted an entry there about the pop ups I had been getting - but that's solved now. I was actually directed here by a staff member from the Malware forum. He said that it might be an operating system issue, so I don't know. Hehe.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Trim down your startup. The only applications that you need running are:

Scan Registry.
System Tray.
State Mgr.
Anti Virus Program.
Firewall.. plus any that you want from choice.

Go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > Startup.

Uncheck the items that you do not want / need. Click Apply - Ok. You will need to reboot.

Also go here and download Easy Cleaner http://www.majorgeek...ownload414.html

It will do a good job of clearing out all of the junk that has built up if you have not performed routine maintenance.

Only use REGISTRY and UNNECESSARY (I only check the top 4 boxes here).

Do not delete any DUPLICATE FILES as some of these are needed.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Yup, what 1069 said plus i wud add after the disk clean up run scan disk and defragment. Its possible that the drive might be loaded with junk and/or fragmented, the cleanup and defrag shud give a performance boost. Do these regularly. Gud Luk.

C0mputerIlliterate

C0mputerIlliterate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you, 1069 -- I am using EasyCleaner now. :tazz:

Yup, what 1069 said plus i wud add after the disk clean up run scan disk and defragment. Its possible that the drive might be loaded with junk and/or fragmented, the cleanup and defrag shud give a performance boost. Do these regularly. Gud Luk.

View Post

Will be doing that as well. Would you mind telling me how to do that? Thanks!

Edited by C0mputerIlliterate, 09 October 2005 - 01:27 PM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Defragmenting is best done in Safe Mode. Constantly tap f8 when booting up - you will be presented with a number of options - Safe Mode needs to be selected.

Your screen will look odd (minimal colours).

If you have a screen saver turn that off. Go to Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver and select "None" from the list.

If you have an AV running turn that off too. (usually there is an icon in the task bar - right click - you should have the option to disable)

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter should get you to the Defrag option. (I am on a 98se machine at the moment)

Defragmentation could well take a couple of hours ( depends on the size of your drive and how badly fragmented the disk is).

Get back to us - let us know how things are going.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Defragmentation could well take a couple of hours ( depends on the size of your drive and how badly fragmented the disk is).

View Post

True! Especially if ur drive is pretty fragged and u have never defragged before. If thats the case you cud download a third party defragmenter that will definitely finish the job faster.

C0mputerIlliterate

C0mputerIlliterate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's better now, not much, but better than the last time. Thanks so much! :tazz:

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You are welcome :tazz:

Use Easy Cleaner regularly.

Just a thought - do you use Adaware and/or Spybot to keep your system free from malware?

C0mputerIlliterate

C0mputerIlliterate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Will use Easy Cleaner from now on.

I have Ad-Aware and also Spy Sweeper.

Thanks again.