Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Setup 1.0.7 & CWShredder not Win32 app

• Please log in to reply

torachan

torachan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I'm too sure if this is the right forum to post this in :tazz: , but it seems to be more then a internet browser issues, and i'm not sure it's a spyware issue.

Yetersday my husband decided to download the Firefox setup from the offical site and try to install it. I guess he got a little impatient and click the download link several times, because now I have seven copies of the setup file, three in "My documents" and four on my desktop.

All seven copies are incomplete, their file size is zero. If I try to delete them, I get the following message:

Cannot delete FireFox Setup 1-3.0.7: It is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

If I try to run it, I get the message:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Firefox Setup 1-1.0.7.exe isnot a valid Win32 application.

My husband downloaded this through Netscape. So I thought netscape might still have a hold of the downloads. I cleared everything from Nestcapes download manager and even ended up uninstall Netscape. I still can not delete the files.

I thought it might be spyware, so I went through the instructions found in the post: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When I downloaded CWShredder, windows told me that it was not a valid Win32 application and I could not run it. I check the file size, it looked complete. I download it again, and tried to run it. Same error. To my relief, I was able to delete the program.

So I skipped the CWShredder program, continue through the rest of the steps and cleaned up whatever spyware that was found. Rebooted and Windows XP still doesn't like CWShredder. It still won't let me delete the empty Firefox setup files either. I am at a loss as where to go from here.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi torachan...Welcome to G2G!

Would you please download and run HiJackThis and post a log for me to look at?

wannabe1

torachan

torachan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
*edited out log*

Edited by torachan, 08 October 2005 - 06:56 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
torachan...

You still have some malware issues so I'm going to ask that you please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here at the top of the page..

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty...and you may not be...post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

As for the download/install issues, try disableing the Norton Internet Security while you delete the previous downloads. Disable it to download the applications again, and disable it when you install them. See if this makes a difference.

You can edit the log out of your previous post...

wannabe1

torachan

torachan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks wannabe1. I went through the start here post once already, but I will do it again. (hopefully I can run CWShredder).

I tried disabling Norton Security to delete the empty copies of Firefox, which didn't work. hopefully after I go through everything again everything will be fixed.