Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Winfixer 2005 and other things too

• Please log in to reply

fiddler

fiddler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Since we spoke last, Sam, I rebooted. It has allowed me to change Security Setting to 'Medium'....but when I check by clicking 'Custom Level', everything is still disabled. It won't let me change anything. In answer to your question, the only thing grayed out is the 'Sites' button in the Internet Zone. It is not grayed out for the other three zones.

I've also revisited the Windows Update site and for a split second a screen appears, saying 'Checking your..........'
I assume it says something like checking you computer for updates. Then this appears:

[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates.

Is my computer not recognizing me as administrator? The logon screen still says that I'm an administrator and also 'User Accounts'.

Edited by fiddler, 12 October 2005 - 12:03 PM.

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
Follow the steps on this page.

http://support.micro...;EN-US;q316524

Let me know if that gets you into Windows update

fiddler

fiddler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sam,
I cannot use the link directly and when I copy it to the address bar, I get directed to the Microsoft Help and Support Home Page. I still have the problem of not being able to download anything. I should have my Windows Installation Disk tomorrow, maybe we will be able to make further progress then.
I don't know if this is relevant, but my Norton AntiVirus program seems to run ok and I still get a pop up every 4 hours to say that it has run the Live Update. However, there is also a Norton icon on the IE address bar which tells me that 'Norton Antivirus has encountered an internal program error. Uninstall and re-install Norton AntiVirus.'
Thanks for your help thus far.

I tried again this morning to change Internet Options...I think all settings are locked. I can't change the default Home Page and the disk space in the Temporary Internet Folder is stuck on 0MB. Also, the yellow telephone icon on the Taskbar changed to an antenna yesterday. Today it is back to the regular blue 'e'.

Edited by fiddler, 13 October 2005 - 02:30 AM.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
Once you get your Windows disc you will need to do a repair installation of Windows. You won't lose any of your data or programs by doing this. Please follow the instructions on this page.

http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

Once the repair installation is complete, the very first thing you need to do is visit Windows Update and install all Internet Explorer updates and patches, and Service Pack 1.

Once you have done that, please post a new hijackthis log in your next reply here. Let me know what problems you are still having and we'll go from there.

fiddler

fiddler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sam,
I've found my first stumbling block in booting from the CD. I changed the boot order of my devices, as instructed. They read:

First Boot Device [CDROM]
Second Boot Device [HDD-0]
Third Boot Device [HDD-1]

Originally, the second and third were in first and second positions and the third was blank.

I now get.....Boot from CD: Flashing Cursor......for about 5 seconds. Pressing any key has no effect. The normal reboot sequence then continues.

Sam,
I've had a thought....If I reinstalled Windows completely, would I only lose the contents of the drive it is on, or would I lose all data on the computer? If it's only that particular drive, I could copy the files to another drive and put them back after the installation is complete.

Edited by fiddler, 13 October 2005 - 12:15 PM.

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• 10,019 posts
That would seem to indicate that there may be something wrong with the disc.

Reinstalling Windows alone does not erase your date. You must format the drive first. And yes, you can format just the drive that you want, then reinstall Windows, and the other drive will not be affected. At least that is how I understand it.

At this point I think it's best to refer you to the XP forum and let them advise you from here. We're not dealing with a malware issue any longer.

http://www.geekstogo...p?act=SF&s=&f=5

Good luck! :tazz: