Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Set Outlook to Default problem

• Please log in to reply

CyborgFetus

CyborgFetus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone, first post here!

I just installed Norton Internet Security/Antivirus 2005 (upgraded from 2003) and it periodically gives me a message saying: "Could not fulfil the messaging request because there is no default mail client, please run outlook and set it to default." Or something along those lines.

So I thought this would be simple, run "Set program access and Defaults" from the start menu, and sure enough Outlook wasn't set to default. So I check the box to make it a default, and I still get the message!!! I go back to Set prog access & defaults and it is back to being how it was before I changed it!!! That was in the custom defaults, so I tried all the Windows Defaults, Comp. Manufacturer Defaults and it still goes back the old settings!

Has anyone else come across this? Is there some patch for it or is there some simple way around it?

BTW I'm running Outlook express as my mail program, and it still works, its just that message is bloody annoying, and I'm concerned that the defaults aren't saving.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, programmes, change to OE if necessary and click apply

Look for the option to make OE the default in OE itself and click apply

CyborgFetus

CyborgFetus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeh thanks, but already done that. OE says it is already the default. I don't think it's an OE problem, I'm more interested as to why Windows won't save any settings in "Set program acess and defaults"

Thanks

CyborgFetus

CyborgFetus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
b u m p !