Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I disable a network?

• Please log in to reply

stix4jah

stix4jah

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just networked my two computers (one with XP home and one with XP pro) for a file transfer. Now I've disconnected the ethernet cable between the two computers and connected both to the broadband. The system running XP home is fine but now the system with XP pro won't let me access the internet at all. I get a "limited or no connectivity" warning. I've tried system restore, repairing the connection, using a different ethernet port and resetting all network hardware (our cable modem and the switch). I have a strong feeling that the XP pro system is having a conflict with the network. How do I completely get rid of the network?
btw, the pro system was used as the gateway for the network.

HELP!!!**begs**

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
The way you are describing this, it sounds like you inserted a desktop switch and connected it to the cable modem, and FWIW, you don't really reset a desktop switch......

Anywho.............if you want both computers to connect to the internet, GET A ROUTER, then you won't have to "get rid of the network", as it will still work

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
k, this set up has been working, i've got a line from the modem to the switch...it splits it five ways, and all has been happy. the problem is the pro computer is being dumb and wont connect through the switch anymore

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Switches do not provide NAT, a necessary item which is provided by a router, in order to have more than one system connect to the internet simultaneously.

With your setup, what is most likely happening is the first computer to connect to the internet through the switch keeps the connection, but no other internet connections are possible.

Switches do not "split" internet connections

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I suppose this is a router, I'm new to this whole networking thing and I had some guy tell me that it wasn't a router like I thought, but that it was a switch. Either way, I've got laptop on the "router" that was downloading while I was gaming last night, both had almost full bandwidth. The problem that I'm having is with the system running pro itself...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Is the Pro machine configured for a LAN connection, or a WAN connection? You can configure the machine for both types of connection and disable the one you aren't using at the moment.

stix4jah

stix4jah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
it's set up for a LAN connection...but never mind, for some reason the whole thing started working today. I can't figure it out at all. **shrugs**