Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update problems

• Please log in to reply

DarbyC

DarbyC

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Withing the past few days I have installed a new hard drive. I loaded a version of Windows XP that came with my computer back in 2001. I downloaded and installed 18 updates for Windows. Then I downloaded and installed SP2 for Windows. I have also loaded Office 97.

Now I have the yellow shield in my tray. When I move my mouse over it, it says Downloading updates: 0%. But I can see that I'm downloading data continuously. Nothing happens when I double click the yellow shield icon or when I right click the icon. What's going on and what do I need to do to correct this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then security centre, click automatic updates, put the dot in turn off automatic updates, click apply

The yellow shield should go, if not reboot

Go to Microsoft Update here

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

You should have 50 or more updates in addition to SP2 when installing XP SP1

DarbyC

DarbyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Windows update site said I had was up to date after I downloaded SP2. I shut off the automatic updates and the yellow shield is gone, replaced with a red shield, telling me auto updates if off. Which is okay with me.

But now I can see that I'm still continuously downloading data. I disconnected and reconnected, but it just keeps downloading data. What could this be?

Thank you.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then security centre, click change the way security centre alerts me, remove ticks from automatic updates, the other two if you want, click apply

The red shield should go

The icon in the taskbar being lit up if you haven't got a browser open is a mystery, so I would advise you to run this by the Malware Team

Please go here:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum