Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user account name issues

• Please log in to reply

jcson777

jcson777

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Need help for this problem. I have a laptop that i got used for my mom to use. Instead of creating two new user accounts i just changed the name of the two existing ones (one me , the other my mom) But now all the associated files and paths still have the OLD names asscociated with them. Sometimes its both, other times its just the old user. I do not want this to happen. Is there anyway to replace ALL the old user files and name with the ones i want or am i stuck like this. Is my only solution to delete both user accounts and create two totally new ones?? If i do this can i import settings/favorites without bringing the old user name into it??? I already was able to change the registered user name on the SYSTEM screen by going into the registry (i googled that problem and found the direct path to a solution, so no i was not screwing with the registry blind). I googled this problem but the closest i got to a solution was THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE WITH XP HOME. I would like to think that with enough brain power wrapped around a problem that nothing is impossible.!! ANY SUGGESTIONS?? :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Create a custom default user profile
1. Log on to the computer as the administrator, and then create a local user account.
2. Log off as the administrator, and then log on to the computer through the local user account that you just created.

Caution You will cause permissions issues if you create the custom user profile when you are logged on as the administrator.
3. Customize the profile appropriately. For example, install printers and map the drives that you need.
4. Log off as the local user, and then log back on as the administrator.
5. Because several of the files in the profile are hidden and must be copied to the new custom default user profile, turn on the Show hidden files and folders option. To do so, follow these steps: a. Double-click My Computer, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
b. On the View tab, under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

6. Replace the current default user profile with the customized default user profile. To do so, follow these steps: a. In Control Panel, double-click System.
b. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
c. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
d. In the User Profiles dialog box, click the user profile that you just created, and then click Copy To.
e. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, click Browse, click the C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder, and then click OK.
f. Under Permitted to use, click Change, click Everyone, and then click OK. If Everyone is not available, click Advanced, click Find Now, click Everyone, and then click OK.

Windows XP will now assign the custom default user profile to any new user who logs on to the computer.

jcson777

jcson777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i did that part already, reread my problem again...

gabieke

gabieke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey
try this go too run typ
control userpasswords2 ok(enter)
now you can change all accounts and delete them

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
jcson777, Keith wanted you to make two new profiles and copy parts from the old ones into the new ones. Reread his post.

Simlar instructions, with out all the detail can be found Here

Edited by Michael Buckley, 09 October 2005 - 03:41 AM.