Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

wwwaldo

wwwaldo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My PC used to go into sleep mode when I chose that option. Several weeks ago, I downloaded a patch for Windows XP that was supposed to eliminate a newly-discovered security problem. Now, my PC will not go into sleep mode -- my only options are Standby or Hibernate.
Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know how to get back Sleep mode?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome wwwaldo <_<

Standby = Sleep

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Welcome wwwaldo :tazz:

Standby = Sleep

View Post

Sorry but I guess I must be dreaming...After nearly 10000 posts you dare to say that Stanby = Sleep.

STANBY IS NOT THE SAME AS SLEEP

AND YES HIBERNATE = SLEEP MODE

Edited by JimB007, 30 September 2005 - 07:12 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Here's an explanation on Standby, which is similar to hibernation, but it can return to normal mode faster, and wastes more power.
Just remember that it is best to save all work and close all programs before entering Standby or Hibernation.

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes I see what you mean... there may be a few similarities OK... but at that point it stops. What I mean is that in most computers hitting the stanby button or the Shift+stanby= hibernation/sleep results in totally different things. So when our beloved admin. after nearly 10000 posts simply puts stanby = sleep that's mildly put completely wrong. All this happened some 1 1/2 years ago, and no one noticed the difference except me ??

Edited by JimB007, 30 September 2005 - 11:33 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I didn't even notice when this happened.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy JimB007: First of all, the post you replied to was over 18 months old..

Perhaps you should read the following BEFORE you start posting what you did about Admin..

As per This Site :

Standby Mode
Standby mode conserves power by turning off the display and the hard drive after a predetermined period of inactivity (a time-out). When the computer exits standby mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering standby mode.

Hibernate Mode
Hibernate mode conserves power by copying system data to a reserved area on the hard drive and then completely turning off the computer. When the computer exits hibernate mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering hibernate mode.

Now, as per Webopedia :

An energy-saving mode of operation in which all unnecessary components are shut down. Many battery-operated devices, such as notebook computers, support a sleep mode. When a notebook computer goes into sleep mode, it shuts down the display screen and disk drive. Once awakened, the computer returns to its former operating status.

Sure looks to me like Standby and Sleep modes are one in the same NOT sleep and hibernate!!

Better research would work wonders!!!

Murray

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I see your point; of course I knew the post was 18 moths old, I mentioned it. I've used only notebooks so far; where the stanby mode is quite different from the sleep mode or hibernate mode which for notebooks is in fact the same. So when I saw in that post stanby = sleep I was a bit surprised.