Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active X controls ranting::

• Please log in to reply

t-wiz

t-wiz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a problem downloading the sp2 update from microsoft, I keep getting a popup of ((your current security settings prohibit running active x controls on this page)).
I tried lowering my settings, cleaned up my computer by using many cleanup downloads from this site (aimfix, ewido, clean up, LQfix, HJT, WebRoot Spy Sweeper);

tried these options from bradpat from a previous forum convo he received from microsoft.......

Method 1: Incorrect registry settings.

WARNING: Please do not edit Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start > Run
2. Enter regedit into the Run field and click OK
3. Right-Click on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT item and select Permissions
4. Please write down the items listed under Group or user name
5. Make sure that the Full Control check box under Allow is checked for the Administrators group.
6. If the only group listed is everyone, make sure Full Control under Allow is checked
7. Uncheck any boxes that are currently checked in the Deny column
8. Click OK

After completing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update site and see if you can access the Windows Update site without any error. If you encounter the same error again kindly proceed to Suggestion 2.

Method 2: ActiveX Control files.
Let us register the following files using the Regsvr32 command and check whether the issue is resolved. Please note, there is a space between Regsvr32 and the file name.
(Please note: If you encounter any error while registering any particular file, kindly ignore it and proceed registering the next file)

If any of the files are either
1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wuapi.dll in the Open box and click OK.
3. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll, in the Open box and click OK.
4. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll in the Open box and click OK.
5. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wuauserv.dll in the Open box and click OK.
6. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wucltui.dll, in the Open box and click OK.
7. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wups.dll in the Open box and click OK.
8. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 wuweb.dll in the Open box and click OK.
9. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 iuengine.dll in the Open box and click OK.
10. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 jscript.dll in the Open box and click OK.
11. Click Start and Run, type Regsvr32 atl.dll in the Open box and click OK.

After registering the files try accessing the Windows Update site and check whether the issue is resolved. If the issue stays, please try the next set of instructions in Suggestion 3.

Method 3: Remove Windows Update entries from the HOSTS file
To remove Windows Update entries from the HOSTS file, please follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Notepad
2. On the File menu, click Open.
3. In the Files of type box, click All Files.
4. In the Look in box, locate the following folder:
C:\Winnt\system32\drivers\etc\
5. Double-click to open the hosts file.
6. Remove any lines that contain entries for Windows Update (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com).
7. On the File menu, click Save.
8. Close Notepad.

Method 4: Run the IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS command
To run the ipconfig /flushdns command, please follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and the click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /flushdns
4. Close the command window.

Method 5: Add Windows Update addresses to the trusted sites list
To add Windows Update addresses to the trusted sites list, please follow the steps below:

1. Open Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click Trusted Sites.
4. Click Sites, and then click to clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
5. In the Add this Web site to the zone box, type each of the following addresses, and click Add after each address:* http://Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
* http://V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
* https://v4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
* http://Download.Windowsupdate.com
* http://V5.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com and https://v5.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
6. Click OK to close all Internet Options windows.

Method 6: Add Windows Update addresses to the proxy settings exceptions list
If your Internet connection uses a proxy server, add the Windows Update sites to the proxy settings exceptions in Internet Settings. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
4. Click Advanced, and then type the following text in the Exceptions text box (all in one line):
windowsupdate.microsoft.com;v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com;download.windowsupdate.com
Note If you are running third-party proxy or firewall software, see your product documentation for information about how to add these sites to the exception list for those applications.
5. Click OK to close all Internet Options windows.

Method 7: Datastore folder corruption.
This issue may also occur because of corrupt contents in the Data Store and the Download folder. Kindly follow the steps to delete the contents from the Data Store folder.

Before we try the steps we need to Stop the Automatic Updates and the BITS Service.

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the open box type: net stop wuauserv (Type exactly as written) Press ENTER
4. In the open box type: net stop bits (Type exactly as written) Press ENTER

Now we need to create a folder where we will move the data from these folders:
1. Open 'My Computer'.
2. Double-click on the drive labelled 'C:'.
3. Click on 'File' -> 'New' -> 'Folder'.
4. Type 'MTS' (without the quotation marks) and press 'ENTER'.
5. You should now have a folder called 'MTS' in the drive labelled C:.

We now want to clear the contents of the DataStore and Download folders:
1. Open 'My Computer'.
2. Navigate to the following location by double-clicking on each folder:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

3. Hold down the 'CTRL' key and click on the 'Datastore' and 'Download' folders.
4. Click on 'Edit' -> 'Move to Folder'.
5. Navigate to the 'MTS' folder created on the C: drive.
6. Click on 'Move'. It does not matter if not all the contents can be moved.

Lastly, we want to start the Automatic Updates and BITS services

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the open box type: net start wuauserv (Type exactly as written) Press ENTER
4. In the open box type: net start bits (Type exactly as written) Press ENTER

Please now test the Windows Update service to see whether your issue has been resolved.

Please let me know whether this resolves your issue, or if you need further assistance.

:tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Nothing is working out for me I'm not able to log on to my secure sites....and I know the SP2 will solve that problem.

SOMEONE PLEASE :) ME

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks To Go

Are you saying you have tried all of those things?

If so could you please go
Start< run and type sfc /scannow this will give you a blue bar, when it goes reboot. It will fix corrupt files.

You might be infected and it is blocking you use of Windows Update. Please read This and then post in the Malware Forum Not here. Once you have been give the clean bill of health and if you are still having problems come back here.

You could also download Service Pack 2 from another computer and burn if to a CD. Get it from Here

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 October 2005 - 12:49 AM.