Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scrolling Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jenover

Jenover

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I have recently reinstalled my operating system and as soon as I reinstalled it I have adjusted my screen resolution from 800x600 (default) to 1024x768. Ever since I have been getting an annoying scrolling problem. Instead of scrolling up or down normally it freezes the screen and the next screen (what it would be after I scrolled normally) slowly slides from top to the bottom of the screen. Also it's like this when I minimize or maximize. Everything else works fine. My CPU usage is 2-10% on average when I am not doing anything. I have Norton System Works 2005 premier, and I have ran the 2D graphics perfomance test, all the stages of the test went fine up to "Sequence of character" which ran very slowly and I had to restart my PC because I could not do anything else.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem please? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go! :tazz:
I see you reinstalled your OS:
Did you install the proper (and most recent) driver for your graphics card?
And, do you have the most recent (9.0c I think) version of DirectX?

Edited by Pi rules, 09 October 2005 - 07:24 AM.

Jenover

Jenover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, I have installed the driver from the actual CD that came with the graphics card and that solved my problem :tazz: Had to turn my room upside down to find it though lol, the drivers I found on the net didn't work.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'm glad you got it fixed.
So the driver from the Internet was correct, but didn't work?

Jenover

Jenover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When i tryed to install driver for Windows XP it displayed an error message, saying that the hardware that needs that driver could not be found. I tryed installing the driver for Windows 9x, that installed fine, but the problem persisted. I found those drivers on the website of the company that makes the graphics card that I use ( www.sparkle.com.tw ). I'm pretty sure that I tryed the driver for the exact same card.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I wonder if it was the wrong driver. I wouldn't recommend installing drivers for 98 on XP, though. It does work now, right?

For future reference: You could download EVEREST Home Edition and find out a lot of information about hardware and software.

Jenover

Jenover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeh, it works fine now. I thought installing the driver for 98 would be my last resort before reinstalling XP again, but then I remembered I had the disk lying somewhere.

Thanks for the advice on EVEREST, I will have a look at it :tazz: