Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spywareblaster & spyware seek&destroy

• Please log in to reply

snowfurr

snowfurr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've downloaded both programs (blaster and s&d, from links here) and although they installed properly (i assume anyway), neither will update (s&d won't even run unless i update, and since i can't update...) ....what's happening is that when i click the update option, i get a message from norton (which i am getting rid of very soon and going with AVG) that says something like "....is attempting to connect to a dns server" and then gives me a reccomendation as to what to do...with blaster, it says high risk and the option reccomended to not to allow...with s&d, it's medium risk and the reccomended option is to always allow (which i selected).......

then they just freeze up and i have to shut down (manually....using control/alt/delete doesn't work, just keeps giving me the "program not responding" message)......

what could the problem be here? any ideas?...i want to run s&d because i didn't realize that my spysubtract trial version had run out and was no longer working until today....but it won't let me run it if i don't update first -- but it won't update...

:tazz:

thanks!

(i wondered if it might have to do with the firewall or something? i know i have windows firewall on because it says so everytime the computer starts up--well, it's actually a message sent through norton telling me that windows has the firewall on...but i have no idea how to turn that off and on or anything--- only had this computer for a few months now)

EDIT: ad-aware does the same thing.....i can't get anythign to run because they won't update

Edited by snowfurr, 09 October 2005 - 07:17 AM.

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Sounds like you have 2 firewalls running, Can you disable the Norton's firewall, Thats seems to be blocking you from getting updates,

Do you have HJT installed by chance, if so could you do the following

Run HijackThis -> Config -> Misc Tools -> Open hosts file manager -> Open in notepad

Please post back that log for me please,

BTW what version of Nortons are you running ?

snowfurr

snowfurr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Do you have HJT installed by chance, if so could you do the following

Run HijackThis -> Config -> Misc Tools -> Open hosts file manager -> Open in notepad

Please post back that log for me please,

hopefully, i did this right.... (btw, when i downloaded HJT, it told me that it saved in "temporary files" and that i should put it somewhere else, giving an example of " C:\Program Files\HijackThis" as somewhere to do it...but i don't know HOW to do that...i'm kinda new at all this )

anyway, here's what came off the HJT thing (it saved itself in notepad on it's own)

is that what you're looking for? :)

as to norton....i don't exactly know what "version" as it came as a trial thing on this computer when we bought it (and is running out, that's why i have to get avg or something)......and i'm not sure how to turn it's stuff off, but i'll give it a shot and then see if those programs will update for me....

thanks!

edit: it's "norton internet security 2005"

EDIT #2: aha! i shut the norton firewall off and was able to update the programs. merci! :tazz:

edit3: oh good, s&d says no immediate threats found...this would be a good thing, i assume? heh.

Edited by don77, 09 October 2005 - 11:27 AM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
To avoid confusion I removed your HJT log from your reply ( Its clean anyway :tazz: )

EDIT #2: aha! i shut the norton firewall off and was able to update the programs. merci!

Your very welcome :)

edit3: oh good, s&d says no immediate threats found...this would be a good thing, i assume? heh.

Nice thats what we like to see !

Just for future reference

hopefully, i did this right.... (btw, when i downloaded HJT, it told me that it saved in "temporary files" and that i should put it somewhere else, giving an example of " C:\Program Files\HijackThis" as somewhere to do it...but i don't know HOW to do that...i'm kinda new at all this )

Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it hjt
Move HJT into this new folder please,

After all your updates are completed be sure and turn your firewall back on,

When Norton's runs out and your ready for a new Anti Virus and Firewall
Have a look at this Topic
Currently I m running AVG and Zonealram firewall, Spyware Blaster with no problems,
You should be good to go,

Happy surfing :)

snowfurr

snowfurr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you very much for your help, suggestions, and directions! :tazz:

(good to know that list was clean...especially since i hadn't realized that the other spyware program i had that had come with this machine had run out..prolly a few days ago)

can i just ask 2 more quick questions?

1. when i go to get avg, should i leave norton on and running until avg is installed and ready to go, and then remove norton? (i was figuring i should, so that i'm not online without any anti-virus program, but then i saw posts around here saying you couldn't have both?...i just don't want to be left open for ANY length of time and catch something).....

2. if i understand correctly, avg doesn't come with a firewall? (i see you have zonealarm)....since i have a windows firewall, do i need to get something like that zonealarm too? (if it's simple and would be a good thing, i will...like i said, i don't want to catch anything)

i checked the topic you linked to (lots of good info, thanks!) but i didn't see anything about these things (if i missed it, sorry...i'll read again)

thanks! :)

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

when i go to get avg, should i leave norton on and running until avg is installed and ready to go, and then remove norton?

Yes download it but don't install it till you have removed Norton's

if i understand correctly, avg doesn't come with a firewall? (i see you have zonealarm)....

Thats correct AVG does not come with a firewall, I would recommend installing Zone Alarm and disabling Windows firewall.

Here is an article on enabling and disabling windows fire wall with XP

Your very welcome :tazz:

snowfurr

snowfurr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
update :)

i now have both AVG and zonealarm installed and they're running great--simple to use and effective...norton's history, far as i can tell, through a bit of persistance and the use of the SymNRT program/tool linked in the pinned topics....the other programs from above are working as they ought to, and updates are quick and sucessful....

everything's running quite a bit faster now too, it seems.

*very pleased with the help and the results*

:tazz: