Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't see and access hard drive on laptop

• Please log in to reply

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Pip
  • 9 posts
For some odd reason I can not see my C:\ drive when I go to My computer. I can't acess the control panel or anything, what happened?

Advertisements

Bijli

Bijli

• Pip
  • 9 posts
What is the stuff you see there? Is there any thing that you don't recognise? I presume you are booting from C: Is it so?

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can see some programs such as Internet Explorer which I can use, and Acrobat Reader. In my Programs menu evrything such as Microsoft Office has been erased, I think they are still on the drive but I can't access them from the Programs menu. My Documents is still visible but can't open it, My computer is still visible but again the C:\ drive is gone.

I am able to boot from the hard drive, I checked the BIOS and made it the first thing Windows XP should look for.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi msssteach02...Welcome to G2G!

Try going into the BIOS set up and make sure the drive is recognized there. It should be listed as Primary Master or IDE-0.

Can you access System Restore by clicking Start then pointing to All Programs then Accessories, then System Tools, and clicking System Restore? If you can, restore your computer to an earlier time before the problem began.

If you can't access System Restore that way, please post back and we'll try another way.

Wannabe1

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am unable to acess System Restore in the Program Menu. I get an error messge anytime I try to do anything. I says the system administrator needs to do that. I don't understand why that is happening.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
msssteach02...

Does the "Run" function (click "Start" and Choose "Run") still work? If so, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe into the "Open" box and click "Ok".

wannabe1

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Uh oh, it sounds like a setting has changed and you need to log in as administrator to do just about anything on the system. If you can log in, do so and change the settings so that you as a user can access everything. Has anyone else messed with the machine?

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Can't access the Run feature either.

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No one has been on the computer but me, but I did take the computer to my work station and I think putting it online there may have messed with the laptop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....I like a challenge.... :tazz:

What kind of computer is this...make and model? Do you have the installation cd handy?

wannabe1

Advertisements

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Gateway 450SX4.

No I do not have the installation disk, the laptop is second hand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try resetting the BIOS defaults. Go into the BIOs Setup. On a Gateway notebook, I think you have to press F2 as the machine is booting...it should say which key it is on the bottom of the first splash screen.

Once in Bios, look for a setting to "reset default settings" or similar. Save the settings and exit BIOS. Reboot.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

msssteach02

msssteach02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No dice. Still missing C:\ drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you boot this machine into Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If you can get to the command prompt, try this:

If the prompt is C:\, type Windows\system32\chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and press "Enter"...type Y to let it run on restart, and reboot your machine.

If the prompt is C:\WINDOWS, type system32\chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and press "Enter"...type Y to let it run on restart, and reboot your machine.

In either case, the command string should end up being C:\Windows\system32\chkdsk /f

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Chkdsk will take a while if you can get it to run...up to an hour in some cases. Be patient and don't interupt this operation.

wannabe1