Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete a file in winzip

• Please log in to reply

Monkfish10

Monkfish10

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: Hi i when i try and delete this mpeg file in my winzip folder it doesn't delete of course. Instead when I do this it makes my hard rive lose a lot of space, which is the equivalent amount of space the whole winzip folder takes up on my pc. It's really annoying and I want to free some space on my hard drive...can anybody help!!!

Edited by Monkfish10, 09 October 2005 - 12:40 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, what your saying doesn't make any sense. what exactly are your trying to delete? whats the filename?

Monkfish10

Monkfish10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh soz its an mpeg file, a scrubs episode

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
download killbox

download and save it to your desktop. launch the program. proved the fill path to the file. click on "delete on reboot". click the red x. follow the prompts.

Monkfish10

Monkfish10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again I downloaded Killbox but when I click on the file i want to delete, the box that should show the filepath is blank. The closest thing it lets me doing is showing the filepath of the whole winzip folder which has the rest of the files in it, which I want to keep.

How do you fill in the filepath for my particular file I want to delete???

Edited by Monkfish10, 10 October 2005 - 04:41 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could make a new folder, Winzip2 then transfer the files you want to keep to it, then use killbox, then rename Winzip 2

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

If I am understanding correctly, are you trying to delete one file from a zip file containing a number of files? You can always unzip the zip file to a new folder, delete the unwanted file and zip the rest of the files into a new zip file. Then, you can delete the old, larger zip file using the methods posted above.

Also, if you are looking for another option for working with compressed files, I have been a long time happy user of the free open-source 7-zip. It supports all of the major compression formats (including rar files). You can check it out at:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Cheers,
Tom

:tazz: Hi i when i try and delete this mpeg file in my winzip folder it doesn't delete of course. Instead when I do this it makes my hard rive lose a lot of space, which is the equivalent amount of space the whole winzip folder takes up on my pc. It's really annoying and I want to free some space on my hard drive...can anybody help!!!

View Post

Edited by gust0208, 10 October 2005 - 08:04 PM.

Joshua Brings

Joshua Brings

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I know this thread has been a while but just in case anybody has this kind of problem in the future, you can try and use Long Path Tool. Usually this tools works in most file copy, delete and rename issues.