Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd/dvd drive

• Please log in to reply

swanmark

swanmark

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi for some unknown reason my dual drive has stopped reading dvds, it will read cds and audio cds but not dvds any help would be appreciated, thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi swanmark! Welcome to G2G!

What I suggest you do is uninstall and then reinstall yur DVD/CD drive. To do this, right click on MY COMPUTER, click PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab, then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Then click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM DRIVERS, then right click the entry for your DVD/CD drive and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let windows re-detect it and re-install the drivers for it. Post back if this solves your problem or not.

Fenor

swanmark

swanmark

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
tried uninstalling a few times still dont work

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then it's possible that your drive has gone bad. How long have you had it? Does windows still recognize it as a DVD drive?

Fenor

Bijli

Bijli

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Try accessing the DVDs through different programmes like Media Player or Nero Show Time. It worked for me once, when my drive was doing the same thing. You could also try saving data to a DVD