Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Issues

• Please log in to reply

Musikman212

Musikman212

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
:) I have an issue with the USB ports in my computer. Yesterday when I attempted to print a document using my HP Deskjet 3745 printer, it simply didn't print. through HP tech support, it was advised that I uninstall then reinstall my drivers for the printer. When I attempted to reinstall, the install program gave me this message:

This computer does not have the necessary USB software support to allow completion of a USB installation. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved.

Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. In order to install this device as a USB device, please refer to your computer documentation or USB add-in card documentation for more information about USB drivers.

And this message:

This computer does not have the necessary USB hardware support enabled to allow completion of a USB installation. The installation cannot continue until this is resolved.

Required Action: Click Cancel to exit this software installation. In order to install this as a USB device, please refer to your computer documentation or USB add-in card documentation for more information. If you are sure your computer has the physical USB connectors, refer to your computer documentation about how to enable USB in the BIOS.

Now I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. My web cam has also ceased to work. It seemes that somehow my USB ports aren't being recognized now.

Can anyone give me any ideas what to do next?

Thanks Bob :tazz:

Edited by Musikman212, 09 October 2005 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go into your DEVICE MANAGER (Right click MY COMPUTER and click on DEVICE MANAGER tab) and let me know if there are any yellow question/exclamation marks next to anything listed in there.

Fenor

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for the response.

According to the Device Manager, everything is fine. there are no exclamation marks anywhere.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have other USB ports you can try and see if they work using those?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I also suggest that you go back into the DEVICE MANAGER and click the '+' symbol next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Post what is listed there.

Fenor

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I don't have that item on the list in Device manager. I have "Ports" and I have clicked on the plus but there are no exclamation marks in there either.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I don't have that item on the list in Device manager.  I have "Ports" and I have clicked on the plus but there are no exclamation marks in there either.

View Post

Those are different, those refer to the printer port and communications ports on the back of your computer, not the USB ports. What I suggest you do, is go to START-->SETTINGS-->CONTROL PANEL, then double click on ADD NEW HARDWARE. Let the computer search for new devices.

Let me know if it finds anything.

Fenor

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
When I click on "Add New Hardware," something flashes on the screen, too fast to even catch what it is, then nothing else happens.

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I only have two USB ports. One has the printer and the other has the web cam. Niether of those devices are working.
I'm really frustrated, because I hadn't changed, or installed, anything prior to this problem.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic- Musikman212 USB Problem
Date 9th Oct - 2005

Here is a [4 Step to do List] –

1st – Verify – BIOS setting for [USB Controllers] in [INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS] Section is Set / Enabled for USB Protocol – (depending on OS –BIOS) –
1 – [Enabled] – or –
2 – [Enhanced] – or –
3 – [V1.1 + V2.0]

– Here is a good tool – to analyze your PC with –

2nd – Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC – USB Capabilities -
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Download & Run [EVEREST] & do the following steps to obtain 3 [REPORTS] – from these – will be able to answer USB Issues & suggestions better -

Report-1: [Musikman212 -CPU-1]

1 – Expand [COMPUTER] Folder
2 – Click on [SUMMARY] Folder
3 – On Main Menu – Click on [REPORT] >On pop down menu – Highlight [Quick Report-Summary] >Click on [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Musikman212 -CPU-1] & attach to POST

Report –2: [Musikman212 -Mobo-1]

1 – Expand [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
2 – Click on [MOTHERBOARD] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT] >[Quick Report-Motherboard] > [HTML]
4 – Save to File as [Musikman212 -Mobo-1] & attach to POST

Report –3 :[ Musikman212 -Devices-1]

1 – Expand [DEVICES] Folder
2 – Click on [DEVICES] Folder
3 – Click [REPORT]>[Quick Report-Devices]> [HTML]
4 – Save as File [Musikman212 -Devices-1] & attach to Post

[EVEREST] will assist you in evaluating your PC of motherboard – Chipset – USB Capability

3rd – Additional PC info needed –
1- How old is PC
2- Type –(Laptop – Desktop – Tower)
3- Make & Model of PC
4- OS & SP installed
5- Was Printer & webCam working before
6- How Long

4th - Attach the [3 Reports] & POST – Answers to the [6 Additional PC Questions] – to your reply Post –

Jack123

Advertisements

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Attached File  Musikman212__CPU_1.htm   21.07KB   23 downloadsAttached File  Musikman212__Devices_1.htm   80.81KB   26 downloadsAttached File  Musikman212__Mobo_1.htm   18.69KB   24 downloads1) Don't know for sure how old comp is. I bought it used a tear ago.

2) It's a tower I guess. or desk top. All the guts are in a tall tower that sits beside my monitor.

3) Name on comp is Multimedia computer system. has Intel pentium 2 processor.

4) Operatimg system is win 98 version 2 4.10.2222A (SP??)I don't understand that one.

5) Printer and web cam were working just fine two days ago.

6) They have worked ever since I bought the comp a year ago.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you installed any new hardware lately? The USB ports are the last on the list to get an IRQ and the first to lose one if you install something new, which is one reason they have so many problems.

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
All I've installed in the last several weeks is yahoo instant messenger. Nothing else.

I did get Add New Hardware to run but it didn't find anything to install and asked me to select from a list. I selected Universal Serial Bus Controllers, from the list but it didn't solve the problem.

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
The best that I can say is go online and find the USB drivers for your motherboard and reinstall them that way... Before you reinstall the drivers, unplug both devices (ie, webcam and printer).. after you successfully install the USB drivers, hook the devices back and let windows autodetect.. Install appropriate drivers and enjoy...

Dunno, WIndows 98 had some quirks, though I have never heard of that... It could just be a fluke or whatever... but that is the best solution besides reinstalling windows... but, that would be my next solution... probably would be less time consuming as well... About an hour or two, which you don't have to be there, plus whatever time to backup your data and settings...

Musikman212

Musikman212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
How do I find out what motherboard I have? I have no idea what brand it is.