Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Problems

• Please log in to reply

crm1975

crm1975

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to repair my Windows XP following the directions given here on the site. When I pop in the Windows XP disk it asks if I want to "Install XP" I click that option but I keep getting an error that has "Winnt32.exe - Unable to locate Component" in the header of the blue error message and the body says "This application has failed to start because CFGMGR32.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

After I click OK on the error, another error comes up with the blue bar title says "Windows Setup" and the body of the error says "The file E:\i386\winnt32u.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue"

One other thing that may be related is that in Explorer, when I type in an address and click the GO button, it does not go anywhere. I have to use GOOGLE and search for the site I want to go to.

I downloaded all of the newest Windows updates but they didn't help.

Please help!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can't reinstall XP from the desktop, you have to reboot your computer and boot from the CD-ROM itself.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Once you have booted from the CD-ROM, hit ENTER to install windows xp, on the next screen hit F8 to agree, then on the next screen hit 'R' to do a repair installation of windows. Then follow the onscreen prompts to do the repair installation. Don't worry, doing this wont cause any of your programs installed not to work anymore, nor will you lose any of your settings or files. This will only repair the windows files themselves (C:\WINDOWS).

Post back how things are doing after it's finished.

Fenor

crm1975

crm1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Everytime I reboot my PC with the disk in it just loads windows from the CD instead of the hard disk. I can't get it to stop on a reboot to do the resto f the steps

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Everytime I reboot my PC with the disk in it just loads windows from the CD instead of the hard disk.  I can't get it to stop on a reboot to do the resto f the steps

View Post

You mean it just boots off the hard drive instead of the CD don't you?

Fenor

crm1975

crm1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am also trying to load my printer but keep getting a "Device Installer Error" - "Windows cannot load the installer for image. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance" This is the real reason that I want to re-install XP to try and fix this error and to get Internet Explorer to function normally let me type in the address line and go to the sites I want to.

crm1975

crm1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No it boots from the CD, I changed the boot order to be floppy, CD and then Hard Disk

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well that is how you do the Repair Installation of Windows XP. When you press a key to boot from the cd, what does it do?

Fenor

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Original XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you (setup to use the cd is totally different) ??

Murray

crm1975

crm1975

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, the copy of XP I was using was from a DELL machine and this is a COMPAQ. We lost the XP CD for the COMPAQ so I figured that since they both had a license it wouldn't be illegal or a problem to use an XP CD from a different PC.

I got it to go through the XP install but now it wants to register Windows and I can't get past it. I called Microsoft and they said that I would need to call Compaq and have them send me a replacement CD with the product key on the PC. They also said I could un-install the version of XP i just loaded but I have no idea how I would do that.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Ok, the copy of XP I was using was from a DELL machine and this is a COMPAQ.  We lost the XP CD for the COMPAQ so I figured that since they both had a license it wouldn't be illegal or a problem to use an XP CD from a different PC.

I got it to go through the XP install but now it wants to register Windows and I can't get past it.  I called Microsoft and they said that I would need to call Compaq and have them send me a replacement CD with the product key on the PC.  They also said I could un-install the version of XP i just loaded but I have no idea how I would do that.

Any idea how I can fix this?

View Post

Fix what?? You can use the Dell cd and simply re-format the system and stop there or wait for your Compaq cd and do a re-install using it.. I would suggest waiting and doing the latter..

Murray