Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard malfunctions after windows boots up

• Please log in to reply

techbrian

techbrian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Here is my delima, about 4 days ago the letter (a) quit working on my laptop, but the wierd part is, it works to enter my password to log on, but after windows boots up there is nothing i have been able to do to make it work. i've installed new drivers,restored to before it started, I can copy the letter off the caracter map than paste it on most screens. but not email or i.m. I hope someone can help me for it's kind of a pain to keep copy & pasteing the letter (a) as you can imagine.

my specs are:
acer - aspire 3500
windows xp sp2
intel celeron M
512mb ddr333 ram
sis m661mx integ. 3d graphics w/64mb vram
toshiba mk4025gas ata/100 harddrive
novatel wireless merlin cmda ev-do modem

I don't know what else you might need to help me as im fairly new to computing.
I work offshore and this is about my only entertainment source so any help would be greatly appriciated.
thanks in advance,
[email protected]

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try uninstalling your keyboard, rebooting and letting windows reinstall it when it loads up.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 09 October 2005 - 01:10 PM.

techbrian

techbrian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks fenor,
but it didn't work i still have the same problem. but while uninstalling i noticed that it said (standard 101/102 key or microsoft natural ps/2 keyboard) which it still does after re-installing. but my system specs. say i have a (88/89 key acer finetouch keyboard) but i can't find any drivers for this on acer's web site. i don't know if this is the problem, or if it's normal to have the 101/102 key keyboard listed and microsofts drivers for it. any suggustions out there would be helpful. i did use driver collector rercently to update my drivers and believe this is how it might have been changed. but after un-installing and re-installing i don't think i can roll back the drivers. it will probably just give me the same bad one again. but i'm going to try after posting this anyway, what could it hurt.
thanks, techbrian