Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP 'unactivated'?

• Please log in to reply

shoogle123

shoogle123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, it's probably my own fault <g>
I picked up an XP Pro CD on eBay (for Dell computers only). (sealed, unused)
Installed it ok and a brand new 200g h/d ok..set up 3 users etc.
Then sickness in the family and had to leave everything for a month or so...
Of cours when I started it up again it runs through starting and looks ok until..
just the logon screen with the 3 users comes up and DEAD. Have to turn the power off completely to quit.
I presume this has something to do with running out of time in 'Activating' (although I thought I did activate it)
The thing is there is no message or warning that says 'you didn't ....or whatever'.
I think I probably have to contact MS but does anyone have any suggestions-- I sure would like to get this up and running and as I am retired and on limited income can't lay out any more cash. Appreciate any help you can give my.
--My system is quite sufficient, I believe-- RAM wise and cpu speed, etc.
Ken J.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Click on a name to log in.

Windows will then tell you must activate it in order to log on.

You have no say in this matter if you wish to continue using XP.

Just answer Yes to the prompt, choose to activate over the Internet, no to registration, job done.

Failing that you'll need to give MS a ring for a ridiculously long code that will unlock Windows and let you back on.

The only other alternative is to wipe the disk again and go back to another version of Windows or another OS.

shoogle123

shoogle123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Click on a name to log in.

Windows will then tell you must activate it in order to log on.

You have no say in this matter if you wish to continue using XP.

Just answer Yes to the prompt, choose to activate over the Internet, no to registration, job done.

Failing that you'll need to give MS a ring for a ridiculously long code that will unlock Windows and let you back on.

The only other alternative is to wipe the disk again and go back to another version of Windows or another OS.

Thanks Neil,
I guess it's beyond the YES/NO, Activate screen--it doesn't even offer that as I suppose it's due to the 30 days time-out (Thanks BILL GATES grrrrr....)
Now all I can do is beg and scrape to MS to get the ridiculously long number... you don't happen to know the contact # do you? Long distance phone call I presume as I can't email (thanks again BILL GATES grrr..)
Appreciate you help Ken J.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi shoogle123...

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
Click "Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now".
Click "Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement", click "Back", and then click "Next".
Follow the steps in the "Activate Windows by phone" dialog box, and then click "Next".

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click "Ok". "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows".

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it wasn't activated it wouldn't even give you the option to log in...you wouldnt' even see the users.....this is probably another issue...

let's go over this again..

you said you bought an xp cd for dells only? is this a dell machine?

when you boot up you get to the log on screen..showing 3 users that you set up.....does it allow you to click on any of them? or does it lock up imediately?

can you start up in safe mode?

can you log on as the true administrator? usually by pressing ctrl alt delete at the screen that shows those 3 users you created and entering administrator as the username....and probably nothing as the password

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In my experience Windows XP, when the 30 day grace period runs out, will just not let you log onto any user account in normal mode. In fact the system will be unusable outside of Safe Mode until activation has been done.

Of course this will depend on how the Dell CD in question works as Dell may well be an OEM who choose to preactivate XP themselves as opposed to letting the end user do it.

shoogle123

shoogle123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Neil
As follows:

you said you bought an xp cd for dells only? is this a dell machine?
>No, it's not Dell

when you boot up you get to the log on screen..showing 3 users that you set up.....does it allow you to click on any of them? or does it lock up imediately?
>Not when I boot normally, but does when in Safe Mode

can you start up in safe mode?
> Yes, as above

can you log on as the true administrator? usually by pressing ctrl alt delete at the screen that shows those 3 users you created and entering administrator as the username....and probably nothing as the password
> Yes it seems to accept my login as Admin and.. (in Safe Mode only)
CTRL/ALT/DEL doesn't do a thing
I'm really confused now. and I do appreciate your help.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
1. Boot in Safe Mode
2. Login to XP (with administrative capabilities account, although I don't know if it's necessary)
3. Follow wannabe1's instructions.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try that....but i still do not think that this is an activation issue....if you had let the activation period lapse...it wouldnt give you the option to log into anything....it wouldn't let you do anything in safe mode...a screen would come up and say "your activation period has expired...press this to activate by internet or this to activate by phone" or something to that effect......

shoogle123

shoogle123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi y'all,
Well, I just got fed up and shoved the 'ol WinXP CD in the drive and told it to go ahead and format the hard drive; continued with complete install (2 hours or so) and managed to set up again ok.
I did try to 'activate' it with the request for the COA number (which I don't actually have--it's supposed to be attached to the Dell machine. However, I just continues without it and everything looks ok--we'll see.
Thanks for all you suggestions, guys. It warms me old 70 year-old heart to have people so interested.
Ken J.