Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emachines driver issues

• Please log in to reply

Luckey

Luckey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
If I am in the wrong area, I am sorry.

I am fixing a computer for a friend. Its an Emachines w2888. Its about a year or close to it old. It got loaded up with so much spyware, ad-ware, and [bleep] that to fix it I just formatted and installed windows XP home using my windows disk. I did this because my friend lost the original restore CD. Everything was alright for the most part. The audio controller didn't install but I fixed that. But the Ethernet controller, video controller, and USB controller didn't install right. I have scoured the internet looking for drivers but no body has them. Or they have no effect on the system. After installing SP2 I was forced to go to 4 bit colors. The controllers are all onboard. I installed a PCI NIC card to connect to the internet to update. I have all the most recent updates. I have a intel 845GV chipset if that helps at all. Any help at all would be great! Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you an answer to activation for the XP CD

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I used mine....I know I know.

But if you could still help...that would be appreciated. If your gonna lock. Sorry.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There isn't anything you can do as XP won't activate on two PC's

The only advantage to doing that is to establish the PC is OK

Maybe E-Machines will supply a recovery CD

If you qualify for the educational version you can get XP from microsoft

If not, and depending what E-machines want for a recovery CD, it may be just as well to get an OEM XP CD

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
But will I be able to get just the drivers from the CD or will I have to restore the whole computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only things you can take from one XP CD to use on another machine are the files you would get by running system file check, or check disk

You can try but if it is anything which is integral to the installation files, you won't be able to use them

Luckey

Luckey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, problem solved. I searched some numbers on the Mobo to find the maker and it was intel. Then I just went to intels website and searched the mobo and found it and the drivers. So now the comp works fine. Thanks for the help though. Unfortunatly I couldn't find a place to order a new restore CD and emachines support is pretty bad to begin with so. Thanks anyways!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update