Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing 2 os

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Is 2000 and XP on the same hard drive just evil or somtin ? The hard drive from what i understand is like lil parkin spaces inside and when i try to create two partitions on the hdd, 1 for 2000 and another for XP it will not let me install the 2000, It says that it cannot be formatted on this partition that i made for it. That is what i got when i tryed to install XP first.

When i tryed to install 2000 first instead i had gotton both os on the hardrive. But when i would go to XP it would get confused between 2000 and XP.

I have a Maxtor SATA.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
So you what to set up a duel boot machine. It is best if you do to install 2000 before XP. It can be hard to set it up right, but if you do it in that order you will have less problems. Can you give me any error messages that you get.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
ummm ... cant really give u aa straight up error message but all i can say was that when i wanted to get to XP it would get confused and give me two System error messeges durring the option to press F8 ( black and white screen )

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
How are you formatting those partitions?

You should install Win2K first and let Win2K format that partition then install XP and let XP format that partition....Although both OSes offer NTFS they are different.

Don't choose Fat32 as your file system...not as efficient or secure as NTFS.

Some thoughts.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
i always do ntfs more stable and secure.