Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

cbs73

cbs73

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a 120 gig hard drive. I checked my hard drive space on explorer. Properties for C: shows I have 1 gig left. I high lighted all files and folders on the C: drive and checked properties. Explorer came back and said total was 44 gigs. Where could the other 77 gigs be??? Please help me find the missing space.

Chip Schaefer

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look through this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;316505

Be careful that you do not go beyond the point of determining the disc size in part one

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I have a 120 gig hard drive. I checked my hard drive space on explorer. Properties for C: shows I have 1 gig left. I high lighted all files and folders on the C: drive and checked properties. Explorer came back and said total was 44 gigs. Where could the other 77 gigs be??? Please help me find the missing space.

Chip Schaefer

View Post

You're not missing anything.

All you've done is tell Windows to tell you how much space all the existing files are taking up on the disk.

But having said that, if your drive is partitioned then you'll have another drive in My Computer, hopefully of about 70 Gig or something. What have you got in My Computer?

cbs73

cbs73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went to the Microsoft site and tried method #1. I have 114 gigs hard drive that is not partitioned.

I checked MY Computer and it says I have 111 gigs for C: with 1.46 gigs free and 55.9 gigs for D: with 37 gigs free.

What can I do now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, administrative tools, computer management

Click disc management, click D then right click, click explore, see what is shown there

The problem will be if it has got data you need, as C has not got any room for it

cbs73

cbs73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Iwent to start, settins, control panel, adminstrative tools, computer management, disk manager. I left clicked on D to highlite. I right clicked on D but explore is grayed out and can not select.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Taking everything you have installed on the PC, if you explore C in the same way, or by clicking start, my computer then clicking C. Is anything missing

Also is D listed in my computer and can you click it there to discover the contents

cbs73

cbs73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I can see whats on my D drive from My Computer. I have Nova Backup some files from my C drive daily to the D drive. I also have a copy of all my digital pictures backed up on my D drive.

Nothing appears to be missing on my C drive that I can remember. Its been running for three or four years.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A 120GB drive will likely show as 114GB, then go to 108 with XP on and then 105GB with Office etc

If system restore is on at the default setting then 14.4GB can be accounted for there

Run disc clean up then click more options then click clean up for system restore points to see if it gains you some room

You may want to back up some of the data on D to CDR / DVDR

cbs73

cbs73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That was the problem. Once I cleared my restore points I got 70 gigs back.

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

You may want to clear the restore points more often as the mathematics are incorrect for a 120GB Drive