Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont boot up completely...

• Please log in to reply

baltclown

baltclown

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
I went away for the weekend and shut down my computer before I left.

When I got back today and tried to turn it back on, it would get as far the Windows XP loading screen but then it would restart and start the whole process over again.

I dont know what the problem could be but I did try shutting it off and swapping out the memory cards to see if either of them was causing problems and I got the same result.

Obviously Im posting this from another computer :tazz:

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
hmm...Could you provide a little more info...like...what do you mean you swapped "memory cards" ? I think you mean ram, but i'm just wondering...Anyway, there was probably a problem during the shutdown. There might be some currupted data that is causing the problem. Do you have your win boot disk? I think you can run a disk check off of that...i had to do that once when i had the same problem and it worked.

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yeah I did mean the RAM. Sorry.

I dont know if I have a Windows boot disk. I have an XP install disk and it booted off that but then it looked like it was going to setup and install XP which I didnt want to do since I already have it installed. So I exited out and rebooted which resulted in the problem again.

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well for some reason my computer completed rebooting this time so I guess the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the help anyway. :tazz:

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Im having this problem again. I went to plug in my ipod via USB and the computer restarted and now when I turn it on it gets stuck in a cycle of rebooting except this time it doesnt even get as far as the XP loading screen.

I tried disabling my slave harddrive on a whim but that didnt change anything.

I did try using a boot disk and the computer booted to DOS fine. Then I ejected it and restarted and was back to the same problem.

The only other thing I can think that might be a factor is that both incidents occurred after it had been sitting turned off for a few days while I was out of town. But the first time I had the problem right away when I got back and today the computer had been on for 12 hours w/o a problem when it did it.
Thanks for any help.

baltclown

baltclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok sometimes Im getting a message when it starts to boot up that says something like..

"Warning! CPU have overspeed"

If I go into CMOS and mess with the fan settings (just changing the setting and changing it back to full speed) it booted up without that message but then continued the restarting cycle.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Id really appreciate it as I feel helpless without a working computer :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

It sorta sounds like the battery might be dead and not holding the bios settings. The battery is on the motherboard and looks like a oversized watch battery they are very inexpensive and are available at any computer store or radio shack

I would try replacing it first, after you replace the battery go into the bios and load the defaults.

If you need further assistance please list your system specs ot the brand name and model number of the computer.

You may also need to do a repair install of windows because of corupted files from all the rebooting

Rick

Edited by Doby, 08 November 2005 - 08:27 PM.