Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I'm cured from VUNDO [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PattyClarke

PattyClarke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am technology challenged, but I'm learning more everyday, thanks to helpful people like the geeks to go. I will attach my hijack report because the directions indicated that was necessary.

My operating system is Windows 2000 Professional, I have Norton Internet Security and a Lynksus router. My questions are related to how did this happen and how to get back to where I was. I was using Internet Explorer and when it started acting wacky, I downloaded Firefox and successfully transferred my favorite sites and my Outlook Express for email was functioning.

Several hours later my area experienced a six hour power outage while I was working on a file in Photoshop. The next day when I turned on my computer I had the alert warning from Norton regarding the Vundo. I have struggled with the removal process for several days, trying suggestions I found here and another site. Finally today, I believe that I am virus free.

Questions:

1. How did this happen? I do not open attachments. I had been doing a lot of research on the internet the week before for a college paper, but I wasn't visiting strange sites—it was encylopedia and dictionary kind of stuff. Why didn't my protection protect me?

2. Why didn't the Norton Vundo fix correct the problem?

3. I'm really not sure exactly what did fix it because I tried so many different things, but are there "big guns" I need to add to my arsenal to protect me better in the future?

4. Now all of my favorite bookmarks are gone, my email address book is gone and I still haven't succeeded in reactivating my email. (Maybe they are somewhere, but I don't know how to find them)>

5. My document files are in a place that I don't know how to correct. They have moved to a place called Patty.bak

That's all I know about so far. I totally appreciate the generosity of the smart people called geeks, and think it is wonderful that you help us less fortunate people!

Here's the report.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:13:05 PM, on 10/9/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\NMSSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Tablet.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\data\database\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\Promon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb06.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ACDSYS~1\ACDSee\CAMDET~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ADELPH~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue\ControlPanel\VersionCueTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\desk95.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\Adelphia eSupport Assistant\bin\mpbtn.exe
C:\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Backup\dtsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Patty\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://red.clientapp...://my.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {6DD0BC06-4719-4BA3-BEBC-FBAE6A448152} - C:\WINNT\system32\awtst.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Promon.exe] Promon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMONTRAY] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imontray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Camera Detector] C:\PROGRA~1\ACDSYS~1\ACDSee\CAMDET~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\ADELPH~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeVersionCue] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue\ControlPanel\VersionCueTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HydraVisionDesktopManager] desk95.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Version Cue CS2] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\ControlPanel\VersionCueCS2Tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Adelphia eSupport Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adelphia eSupport Assistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\acrobat_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Event Planner Reminders Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Iomega Backup Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Backup\dtsc.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microtek Scanner Finder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microtek\ScanWizard 5\ScannerFinder.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0411.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0411.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} (MetaStreamCtl Class) - https://components.v...t.com/zoomview/
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.r...tzip/RdxIE6.cab
O16 - DPF: {69DEAF94-AF66-11D3-BEC0-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c.../ymmapi_416.dll
O16 - DPF: {BA83FD38-CE14-4DA3-BEF5-96050D55F78A} (FViewerLoading Class) - http://www.flipviewe.../exe/fvgen1.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.s...rl/SymAData.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS2 - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS2\bin\VersionCueCS2.exe" -win32service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AdobeVersionCue - Adobe Sytems - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue\service\VersionCue.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: Dmseagpimpss - VERITAS Software Corp. - (no file)
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Fascddrsmrwf - ewido networks - (no file)
O23 - Service: Intel® Active Monitor (imonNT) - Intel Corp. - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel® Active Monitor\imonnt.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Ql10rowuf - Parallel Technologies, Inc. - (no file)
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sonumis - Symantec Corporation - (no file)
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: TabletService - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\Tablet.exe

Thank you, Patty

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Patty and welcome to GTG.

I'll give you some fix first and then will answer your question afterwards:

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should 'not' have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools (or View)->Folder Options->View tab:
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders (it's Show all files for Windows 98).
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm and then click OK.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

Make sure you downloaded, installed, updated and ran these programs (run in Safe Mode) already - Ad-aware, Spybot and Ewido (only if you have Windows 2000 or XP). If you didn't, do them now. For more information, go to http://www.greyknigh...com/spyware.htm

Make sure to close any open browsers. Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapp...rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://red.clientapp...://my.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {6DD0BC06-4719-4BA3-BEBC-FBAE6A448152} - C:\WINNT\system32\awtst.dll (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} (MetaStreamCtl Class) - https://components.v...t.com/zoomview/
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe

Restart and run BOTH of these scans:

Run an online virus scan at TrendMicro http://uk.trendmicro...call_launch.php. Just follow the instructions on the site to run the free online scan. If any viruses/trojans are detected, try to delete or clean them in that site. If any are not cleanable, copy and paste the infected files here. You may also use Panda ActiveScan at http://www.pandasoft...ucts/activescan. Post the log from the Panda scan here.

Restart and run a new HijackThis scan. Save the log file and post it here along with the Panda log.

OK, to your questions now:

1. Seems like a majority of users got this from a popup by winfixer. Norton doesn't seem to pick these up...I don't think most antivirus programs can pick it up since it's malware/spyware related.

2. This one seems to be a more recent version of Vundo and sometimes (like in your case) it won't be removed that easily using that fix.

3. Yes, we will provide some links to free programs that will give you more protection. Still not 100% safe (nothing is) but definitely much safer.

4. Did you delete it? Or did any of the programs delete it?

5. Not sure what you mean on this one. Is that Patty.bak a file?

PattyClarke

PattyClarke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much greyknight for your reply. As I said, I'm not exactly sure what the final fix was.

Today I called a radio show called Leo Laporte, the tech guy and he gave me additional links to try. Here they are:

http://leoville.tv/r...s/Show186#toc11

I ran the Ad-aware scan you suggested and it indicated items that were noticed but had been deleted.

At this point, I feel semi-comfortable that I am virus-free but it would be wonderful for me to recover my email stuff and my bookmarks.

I didn't follow through on your list of "Fix Check" because one of the items you listed c:\WINNT\system32\awtst.dll (file missing) is the original file that gave me the infection.
(Of course, you would have no way of knowing that.)

May I make a suggestion, the geeks are wonderful people and there are so many of us regular folk in damage mode, maybe it would be a good idea to think about starting a master damage VUNDO control thread rather than everyone starting there own thread and don't ask for the lengthy hijack list until it seems necessary to pinpoint something.

I have my college midterm in geography on Tuesday and lots of other things I'm missing out on because of the email/history thing.

And yes the Patty.bak is where all of my document files ended up that used to be available in the "My Documents" on my hard drive.

I'll check back soon, but I need to crack the books.

Thanks again,
Patty

Edited by PattyClarke, 09 October 2005 - 09:26 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Wow...you spoke to Leo Laporte! I used to watch his shows all the time. He's everywhere these day (first TV, then radio...) :tazz:

I know that the O2 entry was related to VUNDO. I wish we could do something like that, but Vundo wasn't that big of a deal until recently. Actually I just noticed that users were bombarding us with Vundo problems yesterday. The thing is that each user will be in a different situation (more or less) and if they make a mistake in the middle somewhere, they'll come back here and expect us to know exactly what happened. If we make each user post their own topic it will be under a little more control since we will be providing the fix directly. Which is why we usually ask users not to follow another user's fix since it may be different.

Did you do the fix I gave you though? All you have to do is run a HijackThis scan...then check and fix those entries I listed. Run Panda and see if it finds anything. The problem here was that it seems like you took some attempts to fix this before and that O2 entry is disfigured a little, so I didn't use the direct Vundo fix in this case until I see other signs of it coming back.

So if you can do the fix and give me the new logs we will try to wrap this up. I have worked on many of these yesterday (because of the bombarding) and I have to say that a lot of users went through the fix as I posted them without any problems and were fixed in about 2-4 hours flat.

PattyClarke

PattyClarke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Grey, I'm sorry I have not responded sooner, but I've been in "overload". My Vundo attack came at a really bad time (not that there would be a good one)—I am buried with deadlines for my college classes and won't come up for air for a few more days. Geography midterm and a five page English essay etc.

No, I haven't done the rest of your recommendations yet, (because Leo's links seem to have fixed the immediate problem). Now I'm struggling with getting my email put back together (Outlook Express) and sorting out where other stuff went.

Honestly, I am so inept at this stuff that it scares me. Do you feel comfortable that a computer challenged person like me will be able to acomplish the tasks you outlined for me without creating another nightmare due to operator error?

If you say yes, and promise to be there to hold my hand, I will devote my weekend to this.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf more than a simple "thank you" can describe.

Patty

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem Patty. I'll be here if you need more help with the fix I gave you. I'm sure the immediate problem was removed but I'm not sure if there are any remnants leftover by it. If you ran some of those scans already, then you may skip them (assuming those scans removed everything it found).

About the Outlook file though, I might not be the best person to ask about that. Try the Microsoft Office or Software forum instead (when you have time, of course :tazz:).

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.