Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My compaq makes an odd click sound ever so often

• Please log in to reply

ButterflyC

ButterflyC

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ever so often or once in a blue moon I end up hearing a tiny click, and then a beep-like click coming from the front end of the computer.

The click is not continuious. It will click once or twice with a beep-like sound and then before I know it my computer freezes up. The mouse and keyboard stop working. The click stops working, etc.

At one time it was happening fairly frequently, but then I took it over to my mom to clean up. She added in a different hard drive to be the main drive. For a while the problem seemed to be resolved, but this week it's happening again. I had it happen about 2 or 3 times yesterday and once today already.

Mom thought it has to do with my web surfing habbits, because I go varrious places and often have several instances of ie or firefox, or both, and ech instance of firefox may have mutiple tabs open.

But then when I had the freeze up problem before, sometimes it would happen even if my computer was idle.

Yesterday it did another freak thing. i started it up and it loaded my boot program saying that some settings where changed in my boot system, press F1 or something, to save. It mentioned something about either unix or lenux, even though the computer never had either of those installed. It has always had windows xp. The original operating system was xp home, but then changed to be windows xp.

I was wondering is my computer beginning to suffer the signs of hard drive failure?

Anyways I think I'm going to be getting new drives soon, because this scares me.

Edited by ButterflyC, 09 October 2005 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like it's time to check your event logs to see what kind of system errors you're getting. Off the top it sounds like hard drive problems so back up your files by all means, and use whatever diagnostic tools you have to check your drive.

ButterflyC

ButterflyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How do I find my event log? Meanwhile I told my mom about it and she's bidding on ebay for hard drives.

There were quite a few funky things with this computer. one of them is off topic, but something freak happened months ago when I took it to my mom (who works with computers for a hobby) to fix. She took the old c drive out and tried to put it back in. The computer failed to recognize the drive. Mom put in a different drive to use temperarly to get the operating system to start, etc. She had windows xp pro installed on the temperary drive. Afterwards she thought she can unplug the temperary drive and then run a restore on my drive.

Then something went terribly wrong. My old c drive that used to have windows xp home, suddenly had windows xp pro had every file that the unplugged drive had.

Needless to say, that my data got lost and I have no clue if it could be retreived. I have since then saved new things on it. I am still wondering how that happened. Is there a cache outside the hard drive that the computer chose to use for the restore?

After the damage was done, mom plugged in the temperary drive and that is what is my main drive. My operating system runs on drive D. For a long time the freezing and click, beep sounds were gone.

Drive C may have been the one clicking and beeping, because that was the drive that was doing it before this mess happened. it seems to be happening since I started to move things into it.

But If it was the C drive crashing, then why would it be freezing up my computer? it would have to be the D drive, right? I don't know which drive is at fault. I assume I should replace both?