Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FGLRX Problems on ATI x800 XT

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Alright, looks like I need to formally ask for help on this one... apparently ATI and Linux don't like each other. With that said, my ultimate goal here is to enable 3D Acceleration through OpenGL on my x800 XT card. At the moment, OpenGL is not functional and I only have 2D. I'm running SuSe.

Right now, I have a xorg.conf file loaded that doesn't have the FGLRX driver configured because the file that does have it encounters an error (keep reading to see exactly what) which causes X to start in 1024x768 @ 60Hz which looks very bad and hurts my eyes. The non-FGLRX xorg.conf file runs in 1600x1200 @ 85Hz.

Now, if I use the FGLRX xorg.conf file, the following happens (according to my Xorg.0.log in /var/log/):

(II) fglrx(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] created "fglrx" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xf8c50000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xf8c50000 to 0xb7b16000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe0000000
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
(II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
(II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
(II) fglrx(0):     Version: 8.10.19
(II) fglrx(0):     Date: Feb  9 2005
(II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
(WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match driver.
(EE) fglrx(0): incompatible kernel module detected - HW accelerated OpenGL will not work
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xf8c50000 at 0xb7b16000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
(II) fglrx(0): FBADPhys: 0xe0000000 FBMappedSize: 0x08000000
(II) fglrx(0): FBMM initialized for area (0,0)-(1024,8191)
(II) fglrx(0): FBMM auto alloc for area (0,0)-(1024,768) (front color buffer - assumption)
(==) fglrx(0): Backing store disabled
(==) fglrx(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) fglrx(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 768)
(II) fglrx(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1024 x 7419
(II) fglrx(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
	Screen to screen bit blits
	Solid filled rectangles
	Solid Horizontal and Vertical Lines
	Offscreen Pixmaps
	Setting up tile and stipple cache:
  32 128x128 slots
  32 256x256 slots
  16 512x512 slots
(II) fglrx(0): Acceleration enabled
(II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering disabled

Note the (EE)... it's saying something about a kernel module and here's where I need the help.

What kernel module is it talking about? And how do I fix it?

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated. if you need more info to diagnose my problem, I'll be happy to help but keep in mind I've only been using Linux for a week hehe.

Thanks

Advertisements

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,

I am assuming you installed the driver with YAST. In that case go back into YAST and uninstall the 8.10.19 driver.

After that download the ATI driver installer here :

https://a248.e.akama....16.20-i386.run

This installer has to be run in your terminal by issuing the following command :

sh ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run

If you are told that only root can do this, which is likely, be sure to install by first looging in as root in your terminal.

su

password

For a nice howto/walkthrough of the installation of this driver have a look here :

http://www.phoronix....&item=201&num=1

You will see that it concerns the installation of an older driver, but should still suit your needs.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
linux:~ # sh /home/novaprospekt/ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run
/home/novaprospekt/ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run: line 1: !DOCTYPE: No s       uch file or directory
/home/novaprospekt/ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run: line 2: syntax error n       ear unexpected token `<'
/home/novaprospekt/ati-driver-installer-8.16.20-i386.run: line 2: `<HTML><!-- #B       'ginTemplate "/Templates/technologypage.dwt" --><!-- DW6 -->

I get that when I try to run the file in my console.

edit**: hold on, I believe the link you gave me is bad because of ATI's anti-leeching thingy. I'll try and get the file from their website and try again.

Edited by Novaprospekt, 10 October 2005 - 12:14 PM.

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey,

That looks very much like a corrupt file. You may have to download it again. Also, you may want to find and check the md5sum of the original file and the one you have downloaded(again) to make sure they match.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm still getting the invalid kernel module problem and X is booting in 1024x768 @ 60Hz .. no 3D rendering.

I think the problem is here:

If you look at this picture, http://www.phoronix....ti_81413_14_lrg their OpenGL information says ATI and give's a card name.

On mine, it says "Mesa Project and Mesa GLX Driver, v1.2"

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmmm, thatr would be because the MESA driver is an integrated universal driver. Meaning in essence that you have not properly installed your ati/fglrx driver.

I also went to the site to download the driver and it worked fine for me.

I'll post the link that worked for me incase it is any different.

https://a248.e.akama....16.20-i386.run

And this is page I got it from.

https://support.ati....dge&folderID=27

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
The first link is still giving me an ATI File Leech error, but I'm going to try the second one and install the program again.

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yeah I got the leechpage when I tried the direct link for the driver too. But when I used the second link, to the support page, and then selected the driver, it worked fine.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ATI Driver Installer
Download
56.1MB 08/17/05 Version: 8.16.20 ?

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
or is it an XFree86 one

Advertisements

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Suse uses Xorg. So you could get the X-server X.Org 6.8 driver which is just the driver. Or you could get the ATI Driver Installer which also gives you the GUI which you saw in that link I posted earlier with the walkthrough.

Also, the problem you had with missing module was because I think you downloaded and tried to install the XFree86 driver on a system that uses Xorg. Causing the module error.

Anyways, I would stick to the ATI driver installer.(56MB)

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
ok trying that.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Still having trouble with the kernel module. I used automatic installation on that .run file and it said configure the xorg.conf. I did that, and reboot. X still loads with a crappy res (even though I specify 1600x1200 as my primary res with 1280x1024, and then 1024x768 as back up if the monitor can't run it but it should), and there's still no 3D accel (mesa drivers still in effect).

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmmm, strange.

I can't say I have come across that before. If you are still getting that kernel module fault, it looks like the XFree86 module is still being loaded. In that case, you may have to find and have a look at you xorg.conf file and see what it says there about which modules are being loaded and used.

As I am not using SuSe, I am not sure where you would find it. On my system it's in /etc/X11/

I'll have a look around and see if I can find any solutons.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
If it helps you diagnose the problem any easier, I'll attach the full xorg.conf file since I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Edited by Novaprospekt, 10 October 2005 - 01:24 PM.