Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning out my HD

• Please log in to reply

SmokePie

SmokePie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey all,

I'm working with quite an old computer due to lack of funds.. anyways, it's a PIII, 512Mhz (but the system specs say 498Mhz although I ordered an 512Mhz) 256RAM, 21Gig, NIVIDA GeForce 2 MX 400, and an Aureal Audio Sound Card.. (Witch I can't even find any up to date drivers for, because they went out of business) :D

Ok, here's my problem...(besides the fact I have a crap comp :D ) I have a 21Gig comp that has about 4 Gig left on it... <_< this is a bad thing (I think) anyways, everything is running slow.. I removed the spyware, adware and all that stuff and still nothing.. I ran AVG and nothing found..

This is what I would like to do... I dont have anything on my computer that a use except games, witch can be re-installed... and my video card that i have the disk for... I was just wondering.. if anyone could tell me how to remove everything from my hard drive or whatever to make my computer like it was the day I bought it...witch had Windows 98 on it but I would re-install XP.. and a couple questions:

1. Would I lose the use of my video card? or just have to re-install it with the disk I have?

2. Same with all other hardware, i.e. sound card (original) cable modem and all that

3. Would my comp run any faster than it does now?

thanks for the help.. :P

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

1. Would I lose the use of my video card? or just have to re-install it with the disk I have?

XP will install a default driver for your video card, which you'll update either with Windows update or from nVidia.com

2. Same with all other hardware, i.e. sound card (original) cable modem and all that

Again, Windows XP should recognize all your hardware and install drivers. New drivers may be found using Windows Update.

3. Would my comp run any faster than it does now?

Yes, I'm quite sure it would.

Perform a clean install of XP. Delete your exisiting partition(s), create a new one, format the drive (using NTFS), and install XP. There's a very good step-by-step guide here:
http://www.blackvipe...stallxppro1.htm