Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Win2k Bootup

• Please log in to reply

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all, I am having trouble booting up my PC. It had started to lag a bit during normal usage, and I assumed this was due to it being up and running for two weeks straight. So, I restarted it, and it promptly refuses to complete the bootup process. (Windows also didn't completely unload the registry on the shutdown attempt, which is odd.) I can get all the way to the Windows 2000 Professional logo screen, and the bar at the bottom will fill about 2/3 of the way, and then it will just sit there (the bar above it continues to scroll, though). I tried leaving it for a little while, to see if it would resolve itself, but to no avail. I can boot into Safe Mode just fine, I have full access to my files and everything seems okay otherwise. I've tried defragmenting, running a virus scan and scanning for spyware, and, while they've all turned up nothing suspicious, they also didn't help any. I've also checked the event logs in the Management console, but most of the errors usually stem from booting into Safe Mode without Networking. Two have persisted (Event ID 2001 for rasctrs, and Event 1000 for PerfDisk). Had a couple of DCOM errors, but I think those were from the lack of networking. Any ideas? Here's the rest of my info:

Windows 2000 Professional SP4
Athlon 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
EPoX 8KDA3I Mobo (nVidia GeForce 3 250 chipset)
Atheros Wireless Ethernet Card
ATi Radeon 8500
Creative Audigy 2 Gamer
3 WD HDDs (Main: 80 GB, partitioned into 2@20GB and 1@30GB; Extras: 160GB and 120GB on an IDE controller)
52x CD-RW
Samsung 16x DVD-ROM
400W PS
McAfee Enterprise VirusScan (current as of this morning)
Spybot S&D (might be a week or two out of date)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

First lets check if it is just some that that has got corrupt. To do so I need you to go
Start < Run and type sfc /scannow this will give you a blue bar, and ask for your installation CD. It will take about an hour and replace all corrupt files.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Having only a 400W power supply and having 3 HD's hooked up and a CD-ROM drive seems a bit low to me...

Fenor

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try once I get home from work.

As for the power supply, it might actually be a bit higher than that (415 or 420), but I'd have to check. Hasn't given me any problems so far.

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried the sfc /scannow in Safe Mode (w/ Command Prompt), but every time I try to do it, I get this:

Windows File Protection could not be initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.].

Any ideas?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have seen this twice before, once in a case like yours and once because I deleted some file to turn of windows file protection to test some thing. You are having it because the files needed to run it are corrupted or missing.

Other other method is a Repair Install, it dose not effect your programs or files it just replaces all Windows files. You will have to redownload all Windows Updates after doing the repare install.

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That seems to have done it. Things are still a little wonky, but I'm logged back in. Can't get VirusScan to behave, and it keeps showing up despite my uninstalling it. By the by, am I redownloading all Windows Updates, service pack included, or do I stick with the patches? Probably a silly question, but it pays to check my bases :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Do download the service pack, doing it before the patches would make less downloading because it will cover some of the patches and you wont have to download them.

What VirusScan are you talking about, Norton, AVG or another one?

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
McAfee Enterprise 7.0. I installed it when I was still at school (the IT department gave it out for free), and it worked pretty well. However, after repairing the system, none of it would run. So, I tried uninstalling it, in hopes of just reinstalling it and being done with it. However, parts of it still try to run when the system boots, and I get a message when I try to reinstall it. Something about "The system admin has instated policies preventing the installation of this program" or something. I get this message when I'm logged in as Administrator, and as my normal profile (which has admin privileges). I have a feeling that there are some leftover registry keys that need to be cleaned out, but I don't know where to start.

Everything else seems to be on the level. I'm reinstalling all of the Windows Update crap now, and I'm reinstalling my graphics drivers because they were being a little weird on me. Luckily, these are going much more smoothly than the VirusScan thing.

Edited by evilgenius39, 11 October 2005 - 12:54 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That means that you have no AntiVirus! I think you sould download AVG Anti Virus and install that, there is a link in my signature.

If you could post a HiJack this log I could see what parts of McAfee are still runing and then help you remove them. If it looks infected I will have to send you to the malware foum because I can't help with the removal of malware.

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, here's the HijackThis log. I'll post it as an attachment. This whole thing really isn't that surprising when I think about it. I had a problem uninstalling McAfee a while ago, so it's not that much of a surprise that it's being difficult now.

Attached Files

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I can't see any trace of McAfee. But I can see that you are infected, can you please post a log Here after reading This

Edited by Michael Buckley, 11 October 2005 - 01:30 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you still have problems with McAfee you could follow This to remove anything that is left behind.

evilgenius39

evilgenius39

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I followed the instructions for McAfee removal that you posted, which fixed the error messages I was getting. I didn't bother reinstalling it, opting instead for the free version of AVG instead. You mentioned that I might have a virus, but I don't think that's the case. I've run Spybot S&D, AVG, Trend Micro's Housecall and Panda Activescan, and all have returned nothing. Was there anything in particular on there that made you think that I was infected with something? I reran HijackThis, and pretty much everything that it lists is something that I can account for. Just a curiousity.

I know I haven't said this yet, but many, many thanks for the help in getting my computer to boot up again! You saved me a good bit of grief (and a probable reinstallation of Windows).

Edited by evilgenius39, 11 October 2005 - 04:44 AM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Please go to the Malware forum, I am not good anought to reply to log there, but I can spot an infection. You are welcome to have the help.