Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hard drive (good news and bad news)

• Please log in to reply

jkpj13

jkpj13

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I got a new hard drive. A Western Digital Caviar 136AA (13GB) but I have a problem... my BIOS only recognizes under 8GB of it. I need support for LBA but my BIOS doesn't have that. I would format the drive for 8GB but I have data I need to get off of it first. :tazz:
-John

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Three possibilites

BIOS upgrade.

Use another machine to get the data you want from it, then get the software from the WD website to install drive overlay software and format the drive so you can see the whole drive.

Get the data from it and repartition it into two partitions and reformat them. You may need the WD software.

jkpj13

jkpj13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'll try one first (I know where to get a BIOS update), and if that doesn't work, the person who gave me the hard drive has the WD software on CD, because his new hard drive was also a WD, so I'll try that. Thanks.
-John

Droog13

Droog13

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Could it possibly be the jumpers?

I know some HDD's jumpers settings limit the size.

jkpj13

jkpj13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I solved the problem quite efficiently. I gave that hard drive to my little brother, and took his 7GB hard drive (which is more than enough space for me).
-John

P.S. It wasn't the jumpers. But I know what you are talking about because my old HD had a "limit size" jumper.