Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Strange Noise/No Picture

• Please log in to reply

jimmysmits

jimmysmits

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I have spent the weekend building a new PC from scratch, and everything seemed to be going fine, until I stumbled at the final hurdle.

First, the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal
CPU: Pentium D 3.0 Ghz (model 830)
RAM: 2 Gigabytes of Buffalo DDRII 533
HDD: Seagate SATA 400 Gigabyte (7200.8)
Graphics: ELSA Gladiac 970GTX (GeForce 7800 GTX)
Power Supply: Scythe Plug-In Power 530W

With this I'm using an old DVD/CDRW and a Dell Monitor from a Dell System (which I'm writing this message on ;-) )

So - everything installed fine (or so I thought) and hooked up - so I turn the power on.

First issue I notice - the U-Plus DPS thingamajig on the motherboard lights up with 3 blue LEDs, the fourth flashing, while a terrible beeping noise comes from the PC Speaker. Alarming. I turn the system off and disconnect the Speaker cable, check everything (seems OK...) and turn it back on. Same thing, minus the noise - but there is a tiny high pitched beeping noise still, seemingly from the motherboard itself. This can't be operating normally; it's clearly some kind of warning beep, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Second: no picture on the monitor. Nothing - so I can't see the CMOS/BIOS to check anything or set anything up. The Dell monitor just shows the (power save mode, press any key), and when I do, the screen goes blank.

Questions:

What is causing the beeping/flashing lights? Some kind of power overload? I have it set to the correct 115V.

Why can't I see anything - could it be some problem with the video card (I tried switching to and from SLI mode but this made no difference.) Could it be the monitor (the monitor works fine on my other computer.)

Any help appreciated before I tear (more of) my hair out!

:tazz:

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
In the appendix section of your motherboard manual there should be a listing of BIOS diagnostic error beeps.

Hopefully this will tell you what is wrong, if not post back describing the beeps.