Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware -- Winfixer, Virtumonde ?! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

Thank you for being here.

I'm having trouble with Winfixer and Virtumonde. I downloaded AdAware before even coming here, but if I run it 3 times in a row, something is always there.

My computer freezes at least twice a day. (Internet only freezes, I can still work in Excel.)

I tried to do everything your list instructed me to do before posting here. However, my computer won't let me download CWShredder. I get a pop-up with "not a valid Win32 application." ?!

I downloaded Spybot and ran it, but couldn't figure out the sister download (from the "Geeks are marvelous" or whatever website) with that? It looked like it wanted me to download Spybot again?

I wanted to download the SP1a from Windows, but it takes me to "Windows Update" and I'm already supposed to be receiving regular upsdates from Windows anyway, so shouldn't I already be updated? So I didn't download anything (nothing was labeled SP1a, and I don't want to download SP2 if I have spyware and it might hurt my computer!!) But I must have done something, because when I rebooted, I got this pop-up "Runner Error" Runner file name (Updates from HP.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id separator) ?!!

ewido log as requested: -- (was there another log I needed, too? I don't know how to use notepad -- I pasted this in Word.)
---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 11:44:10 AM, 10/10/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 21A6DE40

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CLSID -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents\CurVer -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSEvents.MSEvents.1 -> Spyware.VirtuMonde : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.2o7 : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Esomniture : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Cookies\hp_owner@tribalfusion[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\UWFX5RS_0001_0808NetInstaller.exe -> Not-A-Virus.Downloader.Agent.c : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddayy.dll -> TrojanDownloader.ConHook.l : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gebcc.dll -> TrojanDownloader.ConHook.l : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtstt.dll -> TrojanDownloader.ConHook.l : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll -> Trojan.Crypt.o : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

--If this gets posted twice, I'm sorry. The first time it went to "Cannot Find Servor"

Meredith

Advertisements

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Right. Needed to post the hijack this. Here you go. Please let me know what I should do next.
Meredith

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:06:19 PM, on 10/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {52B1DFC7-AAFC-4362-B103-868B0683C697} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] c:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon06] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hphmon06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O4 - Startup: HP Organize.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Norton GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\sslaunch.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\309731\Program\Updates from HP.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add To HP Organize... - C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPORGA~1\bin/module.main/favorites\ie_add_to.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...l_v1-0-3-24.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by106fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1128959524843
O20 - Winlogon Notify: vtutt - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: GoBack Polling Service (GBPoll) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Please print these instructions out for use in Safe Mode.

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to extract the files
  • This will create a VundoFix folder on your desktop.
  • After the files are extracted, please reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode then hit enter.
  • Once in safe mode open the VundoFix folder and doubleclick on KillVundo.bat
  • You will first be presented with a warning.
    It should look like this

VundoFix V2.13 by Atri
    By using VundoFix you agree that you are doing so at your own risk
    Press enter to continue....

• At this point press enter one time.
  • Next you will see:

Type in the filepath as instructed by the forum staff
    Then Press Enter, Then F6, Then Enter Again to continue with the fix.

• At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it exactly as below!):
    • C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll
  • Press Enter, then press the F6 key, then press Enter one more time to continue with the fix.
  • Next you will see:

Please type in the second filepath as instructed by the forum staff
    Then Press Enter, Then F6, Then Enter Again to continue with the fix.

• At this point please type the following file path (make sure to enter it exactly as below!):C:\WINDOWS\system32\ttutv.*
  • Press Enter, then press the F6 key, then press Enter one more time to continue with the fix.
  • The fix will run then HijackThis will open, if it does not open automatically please open it manually.
  • In HiJackThis, please place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object - {52B1DFC7-AAFC-4362-B103-868B0683C697} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: vtutt - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtutt.dll
  • After you have fixed these items, close Hijackthis and Press any key to Force a reboot of your computer.
  • Pressing any key will cause a "Blue Screen of Death" this is normal, do not worry! If you do not receive the "Blue Screen of Death" please manually reboot the computer.
  • Once your machine reboots please continue with the instructions below.
Download and install CleanUp!

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:
Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.

It may ask you to reboot at the end, click NO.

Then, please run this online virus scan: ActiveScan

Copy the results of the ActiveScan and paste them here along with a new HiJackThis log and the vundofix.txt file from the vundofix folder into this topic.

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK! So far so good!
One snag -- when HijackThis opened, it was blank. So I hit scan, I think, and it brought up the report. The first item I was supposed to find was not there -- The O2 - BHO: MSEvents Object . . . etc. etc. I found the 2nd item and hit Fix Checked and the rest was well.

I ran Activescan, and it was all 0's. It didn't detect anything. (I hit a button, and the report vanished, and I can't get back to it, it seems.) SO it was clean, but I can't get back to the report.

Here are the other two reports:

Vundo:

Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender for Windows NT/2000/XP V2.03
Copyright© 2002-2003 [email protected]
Suspending PID 144 'smss.exe'
Threads [148][152][156]

Killing PID 788 'explorer.exe'

Error, Cannot find a process with an image name of rundll32.exe

Killing PID 236 'winlogon.exe'
File Deleted sucessfully.
Files Deleted sucessfully.

HijackThis:

Scan saved at 9:52:54 AM, on 10/14/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ALCXMNTR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: HP view - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HPDTLK02.dll
O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD06] c:\Program Files\HP\{AAC4FC36-8F89-4587-8DD3-EBC57C83374D}\hphupd06.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Norton GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterMute\SpySubtract\sslaunch.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Updates from HP.lnk = C:\Program Files\Updates from HP\309731\Program\Updates from HP.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add To HP Organize... - C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPORGA~1\bin/module.main/favorites\ie_add_to.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...l_v1-0-3-24.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by106fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1128959524843
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: GoBack Polling Service (GBPoll) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBPoll.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~3\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Looking forward to what's next.

Thanks so far!

Meredith

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
(edited to add -- Sorry. Got another error when I tried to post this the first time. Looks like my reply posted twice.)

Deleted. Still looking forward to what's next.

Edited by merecomputeruser, 14 October 2005 - 07:58 AM.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

Your logs look fine. We just need to fine tune some settings on your PC.

Delete the following programs and the associated folders, which you downloaded during the cleaning up process -

Vundofix.exe
Vundofix folder

We can disable Ewido from running at startup. Conflicts can arise between multiple anti-virus programs and can severely hamper the performance of the PC.

Click on Start ---> Run. Type Services.msc and hit enter. Locate the item - ewido security suite control. Right click on it and then click on properties. In the Startup Type choose the option Disable. Similarly disable the service - ewido security suite guard. Close the window.

You can use Ewido whenever you want to scan your PC by manually running it. Please make sure that you get the updates for Ewido before scanning with it each time.

Run Hijack This and click on scan. The following items need to be fixed -

Close all windows other than Hijack This. Check the boxes next to above items and click on Fix checked.

This will not delete the programs from your PC. This will only disable the programs from running at Start up and result in a faster PC. You can always run the programs manually by using the respective exe files or the shortcuts.

After this, please visit Windows security and critical updates and get all the updates and patches and install them on your PC.

Reboot the PC and post a fresh HJT log. Also let me know how your PC is behaving now.

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there!

Thanks for the help! My computer IS running faster now. Big difference! Thank you. Also, with Vundo gone, no more freezing! Yay!

I have one last thing that's bothering me with this computer. Let me know if you can fix this -- my computer never shuts down all the way. If I hit "Turn Off" or "Restart" it will go all the way through to the blue screen with "Windows is Shutting Down" and then just sit there. It appears to have shut down everything (computer is quiet, nothing seems to be running) but it never goes past that screen. I end up having to have to manually turn it off with the on/off button every time. (Which makes me nervous.) Is there any way to fix that?

I appreciate all your help.

Meredith

My new HJT logfile is below.

Scan saved at 8:39:47 PM, on 10/16/2005

Running processes:
C:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

we will have to dig a little bit to find out why its happening.

Click on Start ---> Settings ---> Control panel. Double click on Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management.

Click on System Tools ---> Event Viewer ---> System. There are likely to be a few warnings / errors. Most of them would be repeats of earlier ones. Can you cjheck a few of them and let me know which ones are causing the errors. You will have to check each error / warning individually, make a note of the error and type it back for me.

Also check for any errors under Application also.

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This Error I found under "System" seems to have happened once or twice a day before we fixed the Vundo malware. Could be when I was rebooting after each time it froze . . . here goes . . .

"Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory." (Source: ftdisk, Event ID: 49)

Also, in "Applications", this Warning seems to follow the same pattern . . .

"Windows saved user YOUR-4F1261A8E5\HP_Owner registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account." (Source: userenv, Event ID: 1517)

I hope you can make sense of all that . ..

Meredith

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Meredith,

Frankly I am a little out of depth here. Can you post a new topic in our Operating Systems section here - http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=5??

One of our experts there should be able to guide you properly rather bumbling around here with me.

merecomputeruser

merecomputeruser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sure. Thanks for all your help. My computer is faster, quieter, and Vundo and Winfixer-free!

Meredith

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!! Your PC is clean now :tazz:

I would recommend the following steps to keep your PC clean (do the Step 8 after the issue is completely resolved) -

PREVENTIVE MEASURES FOR FUTURE

Operating System
1. Keep the Windows and Internet Explorer updated with the latest fixes. These fixes are available free from Microsoft. Click on Tools in the IE menu bar and then on Windows update. You can also use the following links

Windows security and critical updates
Internet Explorer security and critical updates

Also ensure that automatic updates are enabled for faster updation of the system.
(Right click on My Computer on your desktop, properties and Automatic Updates tab.

Anti-Virus Software
2. Keep your Anti-virus program updated with the latest definitions. Some of the common anti-virus programs in use are :

Norton Anti-Virus
McAfee Anti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus --- freeware
Avast Home Edition --- freeware

Use only one anti-virus program as multiple such programs can create conflicts between themselves and severely hamper the performance of your PC.

Firewall
3. You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:
Sygate Personal Firewall, Kerio Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm

Internet Browsers
4. Have robust explorer settings. It is preferable to use an internet browser other that IE as most of the malware is targetted at IE. In case you prefer to use IE, then download a list of innocent looking but harmful websites from IE-Spyad and install it on ur PC. IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your internet explorer's restricted zone, so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't really innocent at all.

Some alternate browsers I suggest are Firefox Mozilla Browser and Opera

Ensure that Security level, irrespective of whichever browser you use, is set at Medium or higher, restrict the usage of cookies and activeX components.

Spyware Protection
5. Have a wall of protection against spyware / adware by installing SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs.
SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources.
SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation and browser hijack attempts. Both have free ongoing updates.

Spyware Removers
6. Install programs for scanning for malware and uninstalling them. Two of the best programs, both are freeware, are :

Spybot Search & Destroy - A powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

AdAware SE Personal Edition - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.

Regular Maintenance of PC
7. Finally, invest some time for regular maintenance of your PC. Delete the temporary Internet files, temporary files, cookies etc. Click on Start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and run the program Disk Cleanup. Follow the instructions.

An alternate freeware software which can be used is CleanUp.

Keep your Registry clean. My favourite software is Registry First Aid. This is not a freeware but a trial version can be downloaded.

System Restore Points
8. Since your PC is currently clean, create a system restore point. A system restore would enable you to revert to the settings on the PC when the restore point was created. It is also a good idea to flush all earlier system restore points which may be containing infected files.

Click on Start ---> Help and Support.

Under Help and Support Resources, click on System Restore. Click on "create a restore point". Click on Next and follow the instructions to create the system restore point.

Now Click on start ---> Run. Type in - cleanmgr - and hit enter. In the window which opens, it will ask you to choose your default drive (most likely C:\). Click on OK. It will scan your hard disks for cleaning up and may take a couple of minutes. Be patient.

After the scan is complete, click on "More Options" tab. Click on cleanup button in the System Restore section. Click on Yes when you are prompted - Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?

Click on OK and exit Disk Cleanup.

Go ahead and enjoy a clean PC !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.